AuthorTopic: Blossom Tales - Wizard Crocus attack animations / walk cycle spritesheet [page3]  (Read 68505 times)

Offline Stratto

• View Profile
You might want to clean up the outlines on the gates.
Do you have any lava animations yet? i can't really picture the current tiles as lava yet, they look more like red rocks.
everything else seems pretty good.

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games
You might want to clean up the outlines on the gates.
Do you have any lava animations yet? i can't really picture the current tiles as lava yet, they look more like red rocks.
everything else seems pretty good.

Yeahhh I'm def gonna clean up that outline on the door (Use a photoshop outterglow for the outside black outline), I'll repost it laters with an edit. 

Here's a pic of the twin dragon statues that I'm going to have in the boss room would love any feed back on them :D  Right now the color isn't totally in stone yet and I jus thave them sitting ontop of a bunch of stuff in my mock dungeon.   Do you guys think these look to detailed to put in the dungeon?   Used 8 colors on em.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: Crit Blossom Tales Sprites : Twin Dragons

Reply #42 on: May 20, 2011, 03:29:52 pm
The lines are jaggy, I guess you should clear it up.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Re: Crit Blossom Tales Sprites : New Fire Dungeon Sprites

Reply #43 on: May 20, 2011, 05:32:27 pm
Nicely done. The lightened outlines are certainly better. Not that I'd actually recommend you do it for the whole game, of course, as stated before. Now the only thing else I can see could be improved, though, is the palette--it's mostly just a straight ramp, lacking hue-shifting. Making darker colors lean towards blue, and likewise, lighter colors towards yellow could suffice for an RPG like this.

But you have to wonder how the knight manages to squeeze his/her head into that helmet. It's pretty wide..

Thanks gain for the feedback pistachio.  Could you elaborate on what you mean by "Making darker colors lean towards blue, and likewise, lighter colors towards yellow could suffice for an RPG like this.".  I think I get what you're saying but would like some clarification.  Good eye, yes the head is about 2 pix to big to fit into the helmet but whatever.

Here's one of the first rooms for the interior fire dungeon :

<picture>

Again, users will be viewing the sprites at 400%. We're just doing the very base of the maps and adding in things like wall/ground torches, enemies, blocking pillars ect through a game editor that my programmer did up.  Areas blocked off by lava will only be accessible after you've unlocked the water spell which will allow the player to cool lava tiles amongst other things.
I just realized that the perspective is all kinds of fucked upp, you're mixing the old view that so many old fantasy RPGs has with watching directly from above, and it's really, really bugging me out. Make up your mind, it looks like you've just thrown in one perspective into another and then adding another perspective.

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Re: Crit Blossom Tales Sprites : New Fire Dungeon Sprites

Reply #44 on: May 20, 2011, 05:51:33 pm
Nicely done. The lightened outlines are certainly better. Not that I'd actually recommend you do it for the whole game, of course, as stated before. Now the only thing else I can see could be improved, though, is the palette--it's mostly just a straight ramp, lacking hue-shifting. Making darker colors lean towards blue, and likewise, lighter colors towards yellow could suffice for an RPG like this.

But you have to wonder how the knight manages to squeeze his/her head into that helmet. It's pretty wide..

Thanks gain for the feedback pistachio.  Could you elaborate on what you mean by "Making darker colors lean towards blue, and likewise, lighter colors towards yellow could suffice for an RPG like this.".  I think I get what you're saying but would like some clarification.  Good eye, yes the head is about 2 pix to big to fit into the helmet but whatever.

Here's one of the first rooms for the interior fire dungeon :

<picture>

Again, users will be viewing the sprites at 400%. We're just doing the very base of the maps and adding in things like wall/ground torches, enemies, blocking pillars ect through a game editor that my programmer did up.  Areas blocked off by lava will only be accessible after you've unlocked the water spell which will allow the player to cool lava tiles amongst other things.
I just realized that the perspective is all kinds of fucked upp, you're mixing the old view that so many old fantasy RPGs has with watching directly from above, and it's really, really bugging me out. Make up your mind, it looks like you've just thrown in one perspective into another and then adding another perspective.

Yes Greger,
This game is modeled after the legend of zelda games where the rules of perspective are thrown out the window.  Outside views :: Everything is at about a 45 degree top down view.  Inside :: The walls are as if you're viewing them from a 90 degree top down view while all the objects contained within are at the outside perspective of 45 degree.   The difference between the Zelda games and oldschool RPGs is that the RPGs keep the 45 degree top down view regardless of being inside/outside.   

Outside

Inside
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 05:57:21 pm by RetroRob »

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Re: Crit Blossom Tales Sprites : Twin Dragons

Reply #45 on: May 24, 2011, 03:51:16 am
Lava fall.

Thoughts?

Programmers going to add in a little particle emitter at the bottom of the fall to make it look like little embers floating off it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:59:52 am by RetroRob »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Crit Blossom Tales Sprites : Lavafall

Reply #46 on: May 24, 2011, 06:36:32 am
The particle effects will add a lot of life.

The flat top of the lava fall and the lava pool being the same tile feels a little recycle-ish. And logically, the dried cracked desert mud-esque lava tiles, used for the flat top of fall and lava pool, get that way due to stagnation - little plates and shapes form from partially dried chunks with hotter more liquidy veins in between.
The moving/flowing flat top of the lava fall would benefit from a tile indicating some forward motion, like the vertical lava falling tiles.
Tried transparency for the vertical falling lava tiles?

Would be nifty/kewwl if the lava fall was redesigned so the dragon sculptures were disgorging the lava from their mouths.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #47 on: May 24, 2011, 06:53:54 am
Lava waterfall looks cool as it is, but personally, I'd like to see a hint of orange, perhaps bits of yellow in places, using more general warm tones and not just red. You know, like real lava. It would also help to really pronounce its... Dangerous... Fieryness.

What Mathias also said about the top and bottom waterfall tiles being one and the same is rather true, actually. Doesn't really make the vertical movement, that is to say the flow from horizontal to vertical that obvious. While lava is, of course, not as fluid as water, it's still fluid. Upon further reflection, just where is the lava-fall coming from? The wall? Doesn't make much sense, but I suppose this is all just a placeholder position.

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Reply #48 on: May 24, 2011, 01:33:13 pm
Thanks for the awesome feedback guys!

The particle effects will add a lot of life.  
(We have this effect on the Flame balls from the exterior / interior mocks they look really Cool)

The flat top of the lava fall and the lava pool being the same tile feels a little recycle-ish. And logically, the dried cracked desert mud-esque lava tiles, used for the flat top of fall and lava pool, get that way due to stagnation - little plates and shapes form from partially dried chunks with hotter more liquidy veins in between.
(Right, I tried doing this at first with cooler solidified black plates on top but I just didn't like the way it looked, I wanted it to look like hotter liquid lava).

The moving/flowing flat top of the lava fall would benefit from a tile indicating some forward motion, like the vertical lava falling tiles.
The reason for it seeming recycle-ish and using this tile for the top and bottom is that I wanted to be able to hook pools of lava together, all the lava in the game is going to have a downward motion.  This way I can have multiple lava pools and hook all of them together with lava falls.

Tried transparency for the vertical falling lava tiles?
Not yet!! But def going to

Would be nifty/kewwl if the lava fall was redesigned so the dragon sculptures were disgorging the lava from their mouths.
Heck yeah, I have a thinner strip of falling lava that you can see in the img with the knight walking into the dragons mouth at the top.  If there's time I'm going to look into something like this

Lava waterfall looks cool as it is, but personally, I'd like to see a hint of orange, perhaps bits of yellow in places, using more general warm tones and not just red. You know, like real lava. It would also help to really pronounce its... Dangerous... Fieryness.
Every now and again I've been doing this and I just can't get it to where I'm happy with it with the orange.  I like it this red too though.

What Mathias also said about the top and bottom waterfall tiles being one and the same is rather true, actually. Doesn't really make the vertical movement, that is to say the flow from horizontal to vertical that obvious. While lava is, of course, not as fluid as water, it's still fluid.
Just did this to be able to hook lava pools together.  Also as of now the fall is in 3 sprites.   One is the animated tile at the top, second the fall, and the third is the edge highlight of the fall to sort of buffer the transition from horizontal to vertical.   Here's another version of the top tile.

Upon further reflection, just where is the lava-fall coming from? The wall? Doesn't make much sense, but I suppose this is all just a placeholder position.
Yep, I'll probably use door frames in the walls to give it a starting point or as Mathias said have it originate from the snake mouths

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 01:40:56 pm by RetroRob »

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Re: Crit Blossom Tales Sprites : Video

Reply #49 on: June 17, 2011, 03:34:18 am
Hi all!
We submitted Blossom Tales : The Sleeping King to Dream Build Play competition last Tuesday.  I just wanted to give big thanks to everyone on these boards who gave me all the great feedback and critiques.   In the coming week I'll be posting more sprite work as production continues.  Probably going to start working more on the Dark Wood area.   Anyways here's a link to the youtube video that shows off some of the graphics and gameplay..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afD44SgH55w

Thanks again!