AuthorTopic: Blossom Tales - Wizard Crocus attack animations / walk cycle spritesheet [page3]  (Read 68502 times)

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Re: Critique my sprites for XBLIG : Player walk cycle

Reply #30 on: May 09, 2011, 02:26:08 pm

It's really hard to critique this stuff what with all the non pixel-art effects you have stacked on top of it. Mostly, though, I hope you know what banding is because there's quite a bit of it on the player sprite as far as I can see. That's not all. It's in a lot of places really. A few of the sprites aren't readable as well, such as the caped/winged demons (?) running throughout the fire-dungeon.

Also, about the "butane torch" thing, that's not really how it looks. Note that the whole thing isn't actually straight, rounding off at the end. I think that gives me the impression it's like a laser. It's more like a very long eclipse with most of the "light" of the flame at the center/source of the torch. Since you have transparency with all your fancy-schmancy newfangled tools and I don't... I'll just make a basic silhouette to give you an idea.

(Yours on the left, mine on the right. Yeah... Sorry if I over-anti-aliased, but I guess it's to convey amounts of transparency. And it's at least it's a bit better, no?)

However I'm fairly sure those things (butane torches) are pretty small, and unless your knight is about the size and/or height of one of those little plastic figures on top of my PC tower and you're doing this for a sense of scale, I recommend leaning towards the traditional flamethrower look.

Thanks for the feedback Pistatchio.  Can you show me what you mean by banding in the player sprite?  And is banding a bad thing?  I'm pretty happy with how the player looks and so is the developer.  I'm not sure if I'd really be able to change anything major in it as I already have a giant sprite sheet of animations for the knight done.    Hopefully the little red demon will be more readable when you can see him in motion instead of static image.  He's one of our fav characters :D   I tried doing up a more flame thrower type of fire emitter but my dev is in love with the current butane type ones.   I did do an edit to the torch since I last posted which looks more like the edit you posted with a tapered tip to it.   Hopefully in the next couple of days I'll be able to post up some of the newer pieces for the fire dungeon..   

Thanks again!
-Rob

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Re: Crit Blossom Tales Sprites : Player RUN Cycle

Reply #31 on: May 11, 2011, 03:35:56 am

First attempt at a 8 frame run cycle.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #32 on: May 11, 2011, 08:22:23 am

Imho, all that black kills the readability. Ever considered to have only the *outline* in black and colored art line for what's whithin the silouhetto ?

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 02:02:04 pm

Imho, all that black kills the readability. Ever considered to have only the *outline* in black and colored art line for what's whithin the silouhetto ?

Thanks for the input.  I think the readability on the sprite is just fine.  I'm keeping the blackout lines though to keep it consistant with the rest of my graphics.  Plus if you were to take out all the black lines and just leave the color it becomes WAY unreadable.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 03:18:48 am
Thanks for the input.  I think the readability on the sprite is just fine.  I'm keeping the blackout lines though to keep it consistent with the rest of my graphics.  Plus if you were to take out all the black lines and just leave the color it becomes WAY unreadable.

Not really. Some more contrast in the shading... Better palette (but the overall color schemes look nice), maybe just lightening up the outlines inside, and there's your answer. Well, sort of. You've seen successful sprites without outlines, haven't you?

But I see your point--redoing every sprite in the game would be a pain and it'd probably leave you way over your planned release date.

But not that it'd be interesting to see, and would improve your skill in future games. I mean, you don't actually have to do it for the real game, more just for practice.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 04:55:20 am by pistachio »

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Reply #35 on: May 15, 2011, 06:45:56 pm
Thanks for the input.  I think the readability on the sprite is just fine.  I'm keeping the blackout lines though to keep it consistent with the rest of my graphics.  Plus if you were to take out all the black lines and just leave the color it becomes WAY unreadable.

Not really. Some more contrast in the shading... Better palette (but the overall color schemes look nice), maybe just lightening up the outlines inside, and there's your answer. Well, sort of. You've seen successful sprites without outlines, haven't you?

But I see your point--redoing every sprite in the game would be a pain and it'd probably leave you way over your planned release date.

But not that it'd be interesting to see, and would improve your skill in future games. I mean, you don't actually have to do it for the real game, more just for practice.

Yeah I know what you mean Pistachio.  If I were to start all over again I would def consider taking the lightened outline look.  I had thought about doing it but there's just to much already to go back through and edit.  Here's a little edit I did awhile ago with using lightened outlines.

With some of the newer sprites I've been doing I've been trying to lighten the outlines as much as possible without it being SUPER noticable.

Anyways, here are some of the new sprites I've been working on.

Angel - for the death animation of the knight
Big Chest
Little Chest - looks a little wonkey due to the gif
Flame Enemy
Jets :: Revised, they look better in game.  frame rates a bit off in the gif
  Skull :: You can run into these guys and talk to them for clues to the dungeon puzzles / riddles
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 07:09:57 pm by RetroRob »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Crit Blossom Tales Sprites : New Fire Dungeon Sprites

Reply #36 on: May 15, 2011, 07:22:23 pm
Nicely done. The lightened outlines are certainly better. Not that I'd actually recommend you do it for the whole game, of course, as stated before. Now the only thing else I can see could be improved, though, is the palette--it's mostly just a straight ramp, lacking hue-shifting. Making darker colors lean towards blue, and likewise, lighter colors towards yellow could suffice for an RPG like this.

But you have to wonder how the knight manages to squeeze his/her head into that helmet. It's pretty wide..

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Re: Crit Blossom Tales Sprites : New Fire Dungeon Sprites

Reply #37 on: May 17, 2011, 04:57:32 pm
Nicely done. The lightened outlines are certainly better. Not that I'd actually recommend you do it for the whole game, of course, as stated before. Now the only thing else I can see could be improved, though, is the palette--it's mostly just a straight ramp, lacking hue-shifting. Making darker colors lean towards blue, and likewise, lighter colors towards yellow could suffice for an RPG like this.

But you have to wonder how the knight manages to squeeze his/her head into that helmet. It's pretty wide..

Thanks gain for the feedback pistachio.  Could you elaborate on what you mean by "Making darker colors lean towards blue, and likewise, lighter colors towards yellow could suffice for an RPG like this.".  I think I get what you're saying but would like some clarification.  Good eye, yes the head is about 2 pix to big to fit into the helmet but whatever.

Here's one of the first rooms for the interior fire dungeon :

Again, users will be viewing the sprites at 400%. We're just doing the very base of the maps and adding in things like wall/ground torches, enemies, blocking pillars ect through a game editor that my programmer did up.  Areas blocked off by lava will only be accessible after you've unlocked the water spell which will allow the player to cool lava tiles amongst other things.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 06:19:16 pm by RetroRob »

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Re: [WIP]Crit Blossom Tales Sprites : First fire dungeon room

Reply #38 on: May 18, 2011, 01:54:26 pm
Hi all,
Apart from getting crits on my boss door, I wanted to share with everyone a technique I've been using for some of my sprites.  I haven't seen this info anywhere else so I thought I'd share it here as a thank you to all the awesome people that troll this board  ;D

So I start out with a 3d model done in any of the 3d software ( I use blender ).

Then toss it into a photoshop mock up of the scene where the object is going to live and get it to a size that I want (Make sure Edit > Preferences > Interpolation drop down box is set to 'Preserve hard edges' before you scale it.

After this I copy the newly scaled object into another document where I do a 'Save for Web', Choose GIF as image type.  Set the # of colors to whatever looks good then screen shot it (When I'm doing the colors I usually scale it up so I can see what I'm doing, before I take the screenshot I set the zoom level back to 100).

I then paste it back into the mock scene and do the colors and whatever other edits I think need to be done.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 05:41:00 pm by RetroRob »

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Re: Crit Blossom Tales Sprites : Boss door open animation

Reply #39 on: May 19, 2011, 02:05:40 pm