AuthorTopic: Blossom Tales - Wizard Crocus attack animations / walk cycle spritesheet [page3]  (Read 68509 times)

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Re: Critique my sprites for XBLIG

Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 07:49:37 pm
I've started mocking up the interior to the fire dungeon and thought I'd get peoples impressions on it.   Again, this is only a mock up sort of kicking around ideas. Also, the graphics are meant to be viewed at 400% magnification.  Here's a link to the 400% img - http://robertmaherdesign.com/firedungeonInt400.png

Thanks for any feedback!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 07:51:50 pm by RetroRob »

Offline ZargonX

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 03:22:50 am
Love the atmosphere in the fire dungeon; the colors give a great sense of heat without being overbearing. The fire jets look pretty snazzy, but read more as a laser than a jet of fire, perhaps?

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 01:35:46 pm
Love the atmosphere in the fire dungeon; the colors give a great sense of heat without being overbearing. The fire jets look pretty snazzy, but read more as a laser than a jet of fire, perhaps?

Hi ZargonX,
Thanks for the feedback.  I think the fire jets will feel a bit more readable when they're animated.   They give off little fire particles and smoke and only blast every so often.

Offline edu1337

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 02:03:58 pm
a flamethrower is actually just a source of gas with a flame on it, when you release gas, it spreads

in your fire jet gas does not spread from the source, it actually becomes narrower

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 03:09:13 pm
a flamethrower is actually just a source of gas with a flame on it, when you release gas, it spreads

in your fire jet gas does not spread from the source, it actually becomes narrower

Righttt, I'm going for more of a butane torch deal :D

You do have a point though, I'm probably def gonna revist these flame jets before they go into the final.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:35:33 pm by RetroRob »

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Reply #25 on: April 10, 2011, 12:59:43 am
Ok here's an updated pic of the fire dungeon.
 In this mock up you can see:
1.  What we're planning to use as currency on the left side - Purple, blue, and yellow seeds. 
2.  The glowing blue object is a save point. 
3. The crumbling tiles below the wall.

Some smoke animations I've been working on.

Ground Spike animation

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Re: Critique my sprites for XBLIG : Player walk cycle

Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 03:35:09 am

the timing is a bit off in the gifs

« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:51:33 pm by RetroRob »

Offline zez

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 06:47:22 am
This isnt really a critique on your sprite work, but I think you should probably render the sword last (so it appears ontop of the other sprites) it going under things looks wonky.
If you really wanted to get fancy with it, you could also sort the render order of sprites by the y axis (sprite_array.sort(heightsort); function heightsort(sprite1:whatever class you use, sprite2:ditto):number{if(sprite1.y < sprite2.y){return 1}else if(sprite1.y > sprite2.y){return -1} else {return 0}} or something...)

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 02:32:01 pm
This isnt really a critique on your sprite work, but I think you should probably render the sword last (so it appears ontop of the other sprites) it going under things looks wonky.
If you really wanted to get fancy with it, you could also sort the render order of sprites by the y axis (sprite_array.sort(heightsort); function heightsort(sprite1:whatever class you use, sprite2:ditto):number{if(sprite1.y < sprite2.y){return 1}else if(sprite1.y > sprite2.y){return -1} else {return 0}} or something...)

Hi zez,
Those gameplay vids are super old.  We now have implemented a lot of great things like depth sorting certain game objects.   We're planning to get a new demo vid out this month or early next month as we prepare for DreamBuildPlay :D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:36:03 pm by RetroRob »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 10:27:02 pm
It's really hard to critique this stuff what with all the non pixel-art effects you have stacked on top of it. Mostly, though, I hope you know what banding is because there's quite a bit of it on the player sprite as far as I can see. That's not all. It's in a lot of places really. A few of the sprites aren't readable as well, such as the caped/winged demons (?) running throughout the fire-dungeon.

Also, about the "butane torch" thing, that's not really how it looks. Note that the whole thing isn't actually straight, rounding off at the end. I think that gives me the impression it's like a laser. It's more like a very long ellipse with most of the "light" of the flame at the center/source of the torch. Since you have transparency with all your fancy-schmancy newfangled tools and I don't... I'll just make a basic silhouette to give you an idea.

(Yours on the left, mine on the right. Yeah... Sorry if I over-anti-aliased, but I guess it's to convey amounts of transparency. And it's at least it's a bit better, no?)

However I'm fairly sure those things (butane torches) are pretty small, and unless your knight is about the size and/or height of one of those little plastic figures on top of my PC tower and you're doing this for a sense of scale, I recommend leaning towards the traditional flamethrower look.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 04:45:59 am by pistachio »