AuthorTopic: Blossom Tales - Wizard Crocus attack animations / walk cycle spritesheet [page3]  (Read 68504 times)

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile

Re: Critique my sprites for XBLIG

Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 05:28:52 pm

An edit of LIZZRD's edit.

I completely agree the images are over saturated, but just (drastically) dropping the saturation won't work. You've got to also work with the contrast too. Those thatch roofs are essentially one color. I think it reads better with just three distinct colors, add one or two more colors to create that thatch texture.

Those straight lines in the dirt don't do anything for it. I knew it was dirt because of it's color and it's context. My texture is probably better suited for sand but with some extra work could pass for a beaten path of dirt.
Your grass tiles looked quite a bit like lumps of something instead of blades of something. Grass. Again, not a great example for grass but it's just a scribble. Look at some old NES and SNES RPGs to see how they tackled it.

I'm pretty proud of what I did with the three characters. In small dimensions (16x16) I don't really mind using bjorked lines, you might want to try it out. I've noticed a lot people try to render eyes on small scale or at least try to get the eye color in. I don't think that works out very well, not in this case either.

I really have nothing else to say.

OH! Stairs, look at em.

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 05:57:44 pm
Hi StaticSails,
Thanks for the edit!  Those characters look awesome.  I've decided to not go the "bjorked" lines path and keep everything with the hard black outlines.    I also totally agree with you on the dirt pattern.  Most of the images above are still in early mock stages and straight horizontal lines for dirt / sand wouldn't make it into the final.  The grass is also something that has bothered me.  I originally had done the grass much as you have it but to me it just looks to busy.   Those stars are def sweet and I also had done some very similar to them, ingame however as the player was walking over them I felt they were out of scale.

Thanks!
Rob

Offline schmohawk

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 11:39:51 pm
Wow Rob! Great work. This looks really promising, I can't wait to play it. Why not put it on XBLIG rather than XBLA? Seems XBLA gets a lot more media attention.

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 12:35:42 am
Wow Rob! Great work. This looks really promising, I can't wait to play it. Why not put it on XBLIG rather than XBLA? Seems XBLA gets a lot more media attention.
I bet it has to do with setup costs. The price to make a game on XBLIG is a fraction of the price of XBLA.
With XBLA you need a Developers kit with is pretty pricey. Also you need to be picked by a publisher, which is no easy task. It requires a very high standard of game (no offense Rob) and something like a 140 point test on you game.
XBLIG is fairly cheap. You need a XNA dev account, an XBOX360, a computer and a XBL subscription. Most of things we already have. I've worked on a few XBLIG games and the standards are oddly low. You just need like certain amount of votes to get you game on there. If you don't get the votes you go back and fix things then try again. There are no publishers and it's essentially just you and maybe a team.

But maybe Rob just wants the indie cred.

@RetroRob: Think we'd get to see some of the spritesheets for some villagers so we can more esily offer critiques? It's kind of a paint to pull things off the map unless we're already editing the map and stuff.

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 01:13:42 pm
I bet it has to do with setup costs. The price to make a game on XBLIG is a fraction of the price of XBLA.
With XBLA you need a Developers kit with is pretty pricey. Also you need to be picked by a publisher, which is no easy task. It requires a very high standard of game (no offense Rob) and something like a 140 point test on you game.
XBLIG is fairly cheap. You need a XNA dev account, an XBOX360, a computer and a XBL subscription. Most of things we already have. I've worked on a few XBLIG games and the standards are oddly low. You just need like certain amount of votes to get you game on there. If you don't get the votes you go back and fix things then try again. There are no publishers and it's essentially just you and maybe a team.

But maybe Rob just wants the indie cred.

@RetroRob: Think we'd get to see some of the spritesheets for some villagers so we can more esily offer critiques? It's kind of a paint to pull things off the map unless we're already editing the map and stuff.

@schmohawk Yep, that's why we aren't publishing to XBLA... pretty difficult.  Aside from xblig we're aiming for a Steam release too.

@StaticSails I'll def get some sprite sheets up tonight if anyone would like to get some edits in :D

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 04:22:38 pm
Hey all,
Sorry I haven't posted any sprite sheets yet but I thought I'd post a new mock up that I've been working on.  Right now we're trying to get the first dungeon completed for our DreamBuildPlay demo.  This is a screen of the outside of the fire dungeon.  Again, these sprites are intended to be viewed at 400% magnification.  The img below is at 200%.   Let me know what you think!

The enemies on screen are
:: Lava man :: These guys will leave behind a trail of lava that the player cannot cross, inside the dungeon we plan to use these guys to create moving maze puzzles.  They will not be killable until the water spell is unlocked.  When hit with a water spell they will turn into black Basalt statues (like the one in the middle of the two Lava creatures).   The basalt statues can then be pushed around like push blocks, and placed over depressable buttons to unlock doors/trigger events.

:: Devil Imp :: These guys are sort of the default enemy of the fire level.  When the player is in line of sight they will perform a dash attack or fire a fireball at the player.  These guys pay no attention to the collision grid and can fly / hover where they please.

:: Living Skull :: The living skull is another unkillable creature.  To be destroyed they must be knocked into lava.

:: Flame Creature :: When struck by the player sword the flame goes out and it's coal is left behind,  the coal must be knocked into the lava to destroy the flame creature.  After 3-4 sec pass the coal reignites and the Flame creature springs back into life.

:: Fire Serpent ::  I only want them to be able to attack downwards and be triggered by trip tiles.  Ex. Player is walking up a path and hits the trigger tile - the fire serpent explodes from the lava and starts spewing fireballs at the player - after the player is out of the dragons radius it returns to the lava.

Thanks,
Rob
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 04:32:53 pm by RetroRob »

Offline Ichigo Jam

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 12:43:48 am

I've probably deviated way too far from what you were going for here and it's kind of messy, but hopefully it will give you some ideas about colours and lighting.

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 03:48:36 pm

I've probably deviated way too far from what you were going for here and it's kind of messy, but hopefully it will give you some ideas about colours and lighting.

Oh man, thanks Ichigo Jam, your edit just put me to shame lol :D

I did a quick edit this morning based on your lighting.  I'm gonna push this a bit further later today or tomorrow.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 08:00:39 pm
in an environment that's only lit by hot colors like red and yellow it makes no sense to have neutrally gray smoke. It's even impossible given the lighting conditions. Everything would end up red-yellow. Gray is impossible in this environment.
' _ '

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 10:16:47 pm
in an environment that's only lit by hot colors like red and yellow it makes no sense to have neutrally gray smoke. It's even impossible given the lighting conditions. Everything would end up red-yellow. Gray is impossible in this environment.

Thanks for the comment Jad, I updated the img by saturating the smoke with a red color.