AuthorTopic: Help with Tileset / Scenery [C+C]  (Read 18252 times)

Offline TheShard1994

• View Profile

Help with Tileset / Scenery [C+C]

on: March 14, 2011, 06:29:54 am
Hey,
I'm working on a tileset of a house with a thatch roof, but I have NO idea how to properly shade the roof...
I got this:

Please note that the tiles which are exact copies of eachother will have variations later on.
I would like some comments/critics :)

Greets,
Shard
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 06:40:39 pm by TheShard1994 »

Offline TheShard1994

• View Profile

Re: Tileset House & Thatch roof[C+C]

Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 03:04:22 pm
Added some details to give u guys a better vision of what I´m doing

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 03:15:47 pm
First of all it's hella hard to get a good feel for the colors with those dang magenta lines, they're seriously in the way

Same goes for yellow background. Make it something like a toned-town sky blue or something so we can get a natural atmosphere in the picture.

The roof looks mighty weird as you say, but one of the most important things would be to let the roof change color according to angle. The whole top tile would be much brighter, right? The whole row, I mean. Since it's facing upwards. While the vertically aligned tile would be something like the color it is now. Change that, for starters
' _ '

Offline TheShard1994

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 03:23:14 pm
Thx for the help. I just think it's a bit easier to work with those bright colors, but they might indeed be obstructing a natural feeling.

Offline malkomk

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 05:04:25 pm
Aah, much better. I think it improves the look of the picture dramatically.
Sorry I can't help you with roof shading as I'm a beginner at this myself.

Offline TheShard1994

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 06:12:03 am
yeah it does improve a bit.

Also, I think it's best if i make some reed(?) stick out of the bottom of the roof, now it's all straight..

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 06:45:14 am
It seems like you're using a lot of colors on the roof and brickwork, but I don't know how many exactly though. The curtains seem flat (stuck to the window?), the cause of which is probably that most of the shading lies around the edges. The colors on the vase could use some more contrast to make it seem like it's actually shaded. There are also a lot of black outlines, and this applies to the whole image, especially the lanterns.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:56:49 am by pistachio »

Offline TheShard1994

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 06:07:46 am
The style of my game has the black outlines, a lot, so that's why they're so many :P
Why does the vase need more contrast? then It'd look a bit gray, instead of white?

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 07:14:17 am
The style of my game has the black outlines, a lot, so that's why they're so many :P
Why does the vase need more contrast? then It'd look a bit gray, instead of white?

Darn, post accidentally got deleted. Let's see what I can forage from memory...

I've heard of the "it's that way because it's my style" argument many times before. Usually doesn't end well. The end result is almost always a lot of critique being rejected.

What I mean is black outlines everywhere... Well it doesn't always look good. Colored outlines, maybe. Or perhaps it's just that most of the lighting is on the edges. Here's an edit on the lantern, to show you what I mean...

As for the vases, contrast doesn't necessarily mean dragging everything down a shade. It basically means that the darker colors get darker, and the lighter colors get lighter, but just slightly in this case. And what hue shifting is making the darker colors tint towards a certain color. The darker they get the more intense the color is. Here's another edit:

I kinda ruined the selout.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:24:28 am by pistachio »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 08:29:51 am

Naaaah, you can trick the brain more than that, bro. The power of contrast works on a bigger scale than that. Just cause something has gray shades in it won't make it look gray. And if it does, it's probabl because the bricks surrouding it are too bright. Which, incidentally, they probably are.

' 3 ' you should read up on this, and contrast between colors, et cetera, how it all works, this way you'll soon be able to paint a whole scene in orange and still make the human brain register a yellow-orangeish vase as 'white'. ' U ' the best artists have mastered this, so learn it, don't question it.
' _ '