AuthorTopic: Game development!  (Read 9441 times)

Offline ninto

• pixel fiesta
    • View Profile

Game development!

on: March 11, 2011, 10:16:46 pm

Game write up:

The basic game is 100% adventure, and you run around being awesome. Pretty much you live in islands all the way in the clouds and there's two modes.

The first mode is all the way zoomed out, so you can basically see your whole little village and such, and yourself the character is just a little spec, but you can still move him around and stuff. The second mode, by just a click of the spacebar, is a zoomed in version, and you can see all the wonderful details and play close up. Either way, you can still play. (haha I rhymed)

There's about 10 missions or adventures you most complete to increase your environment,  by being able to boat to other islands. At the same time not having to go back into the menu and click on level select, you have to manually manage to get back to wherever you want to go.  For each mission you complete, deepening on the level of difficulty, you get a wad of coins, those coins being able to buy stuff at the store such as fishing poles or a bike. All the being upgradable.

Offline metachaos

• "Feed me with bacon"
    • View Profile

Re: Game development!

Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 10:21:21 pm
Concept seems kindda kewl.

Platform ?

Ingame footage ?

:)
*          /!\ Waiting for the singularity /!\            *

Offline ninto

• pixel fiesta
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 10:33:38 pm
Haha, thanks!

Platform is flash and we aren't near any ingame footage, we are probably only 15% done.

Offline ColonelMustache

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 11:23:29 pm
I really like the simple look of it. For a platformer is may be tough to tell where you are going to fall off the edge when everything is on an angle.

Offline ninto

• pixel fiesta
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 11:32:51 pm
I was actually thinking about this earlier in the development and how I'm gunna work it out.

I decided you can walk all the way, but you can only hit the shaded part.

erm, like let's say you are all the way at the bottom left. you can walk all the way to the right, until you hit the darker gray, and you would only fall when you go off the lighter gray's cliff.

sorta confusing to explain  ???

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 12:34:14 am
Ooh. I'm liking the sound of this.

Any reason why it's posted in the Pixel Art forum, though? What have we, graphically, to critique, if the graphics are basically blocks? Or perhaps these are placeholders and later on it will be more visually impressive?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:46:37 am by pistachio »

Offline ninto

• pixel fiesta
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 03:37:12 am
Where else should you recommend I place it? And no, these aren't placeholders, it's my style.

Offline schmohawk

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 04:34:33 am
I love the style I think you should stick with it

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 05:13:09 am
Where else should you recommend I place it? And no, these aren't placeholders, it's my style.
Style aside, it'd be nice to see the raw sprites without the gradients laid over them.
While the style is simple and shows some sort of volume, it is boring. I don't suggest hyper realistic rendering or textures, but just something to make it less boring.

Ooh. I'm liking the sound of this.

Any reason why it's posted in the Pixel Art forum, though? What have we, graphically, to critique, if the graphics are basically blocks? Or perhaps these are placeholders and later on it will be more visually impressive?
Agreed.
Right now you have nothing for us to critique and are essentially showing us nothing. A few drags of the rectangle tool and you can make this.
Since you're going with the pseudo 3D looks you might as well invite some textures and lighting that helps reflect these.

Please post the small paletted "raw" sprites before you threw could norve every......... I keep falling asllep, in my m.

Ok that's all I can type wthout my hands. :3

Offline ninto

• pixel fiesta
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 12:36:24 pm
I love the style I think you should stick with it

thanks!   :D

Style aside, it'd be nice to see the raw sprites without the gradients laid over them.
While the style is simple and shows some sort of volume, it is boring. I don't suggest hyper realistic rendering or textures, but just something to make it less boring.

It's a WIP of the hometown, so chill your nips, hahaha. :3