AuthorTopic: Eye WIP  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Eye WIP

on: March 14, 2011, 04:39:56 am

Hey guys, newbie here.

I started pixelling yesterday, so this was my first attempt at all the basics: antialiasing, dithering, color pallets, all of it.

Anyways, I'm stuck at the fleshy-brow part. I know I want it to dither away to the background in the upper part, but I also want it to read more like a fleshy abomination than a Godzilla-esque reptilian thing. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:48:30 am by Daimoth »

Offline Basketcase

• View Profile

Re: Eye WIP

Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 11:23:30 am
You used an unnecessarily large pallet. I reduced the colours down to 20, and I think you could halve that (counting visible colours by eye). I recommend the purples rather than greys (so I did that replacement).

Did some re-shading and dithering, to make it look smoother (with some rough blobs).

Also I removed the alpha transparency to make it easier to work with. Up to you if you want to keep it to make it blend into a website background... but I don't think that's often great for pixel art.
To do: ??? Cow made my lovely avatar.

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 12:08:34 pm
I'm actually using it for a horror-themed video game I'm involved in. I wasn't sure whether or not to anti-alias considering the bottom eye line isn't a sharp curve.

As far as the pallet goes, I only have 16 colors on my pallet. I changed the opacity of a few pixels here and there during anti-aliasing, though, I'm assuming that counts as a separate color on a pallet?

Thank you so much for the tips.

Offline Basketcase

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 02:11:08 pm
More than 16 colours are showing up for me: http://i53.tinypic.com/314cfg9.png
Some accidental colour-adding is likely. There's a barely visible faint outline around the eyelid, and a scribble in the middle top.

What graphics software are you using? Some provide very convenient palette management.

Do you know what background(s) the eye will be placed on in the game?
To do: ??? Cow made my lovely avatar.

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 02:48:27 pm
Yeah, I can clearly see that a ton of them are almost the same shade. I use Pixen, which isn't all that stable on OSX 1.5.x at this point, so I'm chalking it up to that.

Its going over a dark blue (or dark purple) background, or dark grey. I haven't gotten the background yet. I'm not sure if it will be textured or not.