AuthorTopic: Game development!  (Read 9437 times)

Offline ninto

• pixel fiesta
    • View Profile

Game development!

on: March 11, 2011, 10:16:46 pm

Game write up:

The basic game is 100% adventure, and you run around being awesome. Pretty much you live in islands all the way in the clouds and there's two modes.

The first mode is all the way zoomed out, so you can basically see your whole little village and such, and yourself the character is just a little spec, but you can still move him around and stuff. The second mode, by just a click of the spacebar, is a zoomed in version, and you can see all the wonderful details and play close up. Either way, you can still play. (haha I rhymed)

There's about 10 missions or adventures you most complete to increase your environment,  by being able to boat to other islands. At the same time not having to go back into the menu and click on level select, you have to manually manage to get back to wherever you want to go.  For each mission you complete, deepening on the level of difficulty, you get a wad of coins, those coins being able to buy stuff at the store such as fishing poles or a bike. All the being upgradable.

Offline metachaos

• "Feed me with bacon"
    • View Profile

Re: Game development!

Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 10:21:21 pm
Concept seems kindda kewl.

Platform ?

Ingame footage ?

:)
*          /!\ Waiting for the singularity /!\            *

Offline ninto

• pixel fiesta
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 10:33:38 pm
Haha, thanks!

Platform is flash and we aren't near any ingame footage, we are probably only 15% done.

Offline ColonelMustache

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 11:23:29 pm
I really like the simple look of it. For a platformer is may be tough to tell where you are going to fall off the edge when everything is on an angle.

Offline ninto

• pixel fiesta
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 11:32:51 pm
I was actually thinking about this earlier in the development and how I'm gunna work it out.

I decided you can walk all the way, but you can only hit the shaded part.

erm, like let's say you are all the way at the bottom left. you can walk all the way to the right, until you hit the darker gray, and you would only fall when you go off the lighter gray's cliff.

sorta confusing to explain  ???

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 12:34:14 am
Ooh. I'm liking the sound of this.

Any reason why it's posted in the Pixel Art forum, though? What have we, graphically, to critique, if the graphics are basically blocks? Or perhaps these are placeholders and later on it will be more visually impressive?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:46:37 am by pistachio »

Offline ninto

• pixel fiesta
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 03:37:12 am
Where else should you recommend I place it? And no, these aren't placeholders, it's my style.

Offline schmohawk

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 04:34:33 am
I love the style I think you should stick with it

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 05:13:09 am
Where else should you recommend I place it? And no, these aren't placeholders, it's my style.
Style aside, it'd be nice to see the raw sprites without the gradients laid over them.
While the style is simple and shows some sort of volume, it is boring. I don't suggest hyper realistic rendering or textures, but just something to make it less boring.

Ooh. I'm liking the sound of this.

Any reason why it's posted in the Pixel Art forum, though? What have we, graphically, to critique, if the graphics are basically blocks? Or perhaps these are placeholders and later on it will be more visually impressive?
Agreed.
Right now you have nothing for us to critique and are essentially showing us nothing. A few drags of the rectangle tool and you can make this.
Since you're going with the pseudo 3D looks you might as well invite some textures and lighting that helps reflect these.

Please post the small paletted "raw" sprites before you threw could norve every......... I keep falling asllep, in my m.

Ok that's all I can type wthout my hands. :3

Offline ninto

• pixel fiesta
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 12:36:24 pm
I love the style I think you should stick with it

thanks!   :D

Style aside, it'd be nice to see the raw sprites without the gradients laid over them.
While the style is simple and shows some sort of volume, it is boring. I don't suggest hyper realistic rendering or textures, but just something to make it less boring.

It's a WIP of the hometown, so chill your nips, hahaha. :3

Offline metachaos

• "Feed me with bacon"
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 01:46:50 pm
Is there any website where we can follow your progress and maybe alpha/beta test the game ?

Keep up the good work !
*          /!\ Waiting for the singularity /!\            *

Offline ninto

• pixel fiesta
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 01:51:31 pm
Nah, I don't have any kind of website, which is why I made this thread to keep you guys posted on news!

Offline ninto

• pixel fiesta
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 02:20:14 pm

Offline Lapada

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 02:45:45 pm
Holy Crap man , your just ripping off Craig D Adams and the game he's working on - Thats like event he same character they have int he main vieo with the suit on. I know the style is really fresh but ... iunno

For more information about this artist please visit your local library and log on to http://www.swordandsworcery.com/

Offline ninto

• pixel fiesta
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 03:03:28 pm
This isn't even close to swords and sorcery. Just because that character has the same body doesn't mean I'm ripping him off, that's not even the main character.

The games are in no way the same, so I don't know where you think I'm ripping him off. Everything else is different but the similarity in characters.

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 06:14:29 pm
It's a WIP of the hometown, so chill your nips, hahaha. :3

You're posting work here for criticism so you can get better, that is the point of this forum.

Since that a WIP of the hometown you should take my criticism into consideration. What I don't like could be what other people don't like.
Mine <---> Yours
If you show us the pixel art before it's in flash under all those NPA effects it'll be easier for us to show edits and generally help.

Most of the edit were on the house and the immediately surrounding area. Palette too!
Placed the new barred windows at the first floor height. In your house there aren't any windows on the first floor. Though if there's only one floor then nobody can look through them, just thought it was a better placement.
You've got a chimney. Let's use it.
Added some simple grass. An ugly rock too.
Threw some edge highlights on ... the edges...
Rocks and mountains and most things in nature that are viewed as grey are more often than not several (usually dull and muted) colors. Besides, adding a little color will help convey moods better. My rocks have a little green, orange or red in them. Makes it a little warmer. If you want to go cold try some blues or purples.

Threw in a ladder and birds for good measure.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:16:18 pm by StaticSails »

Offline ninto

• pixel fiesta
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 06:20:14 pm
I really like what you did with the house and the chimney looks pretty slick too!

The grass doesn't really strike my fancy, but it still looks neat, and thanks for taking the time towards helping me out!

Offline phyerboss

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 11:25:31 pm
This project almost reminds me of "Fez". Well, the visual aspects. :)

But still looks promising. Hope to hear more on it. Aside from flash, Has your team ever considered putting this on say, the iphone or android?

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 12:59:49 am
I disagree with the edit. It tears down the border between simple graphics and complex graphics, but doesn't take it far enough to where it benefits, and makes it just look like mediocre pixel art. I also don't like the highlights on the edges, this is done a lot in isometric art and it doesn't make sense in my opinion. It makes the graphics look like plastic and makes me think of amateur iso art(no offense to anyone who uses this style, it just doesn't appeal to me).

Offline ninto

• pixel fiesta
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 01:13:02 am
This project almost reminds me of "Fez". Well, the visual aspects. :)

But still looks promising. Hope to hear more on it. Aside from flash, Has your team ever considered putting this on say, the iphone or android?

Wow, that's a complement, because Fez is absolutely beautiful! Thanks!  ;D We haven't considered it yet, but I don't think it would transfer that great honestly.

I disagree with the edit. It tears down the border between simple graphics and complex graphics, but doesn't take it far enough to where it benefits, and makes it just look like mediocre pixel art. I also don't like the highlights on the edges, this is done a lot in isometric art and it doesn't make sense in my opinion. It makes the graphics look like plastic and makes me think of amateur iso art(no offense to anyone who uses this style, it just doesn't appeal to me).

I like what he did, it's another take on a different style. I'm not going to change my art to the way he made it, but I like the few pointers he gave to me, and I was just being respectful. But thanks for ... sticking up for the style I'm using? Hehe  :)

Offline Basketcase

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 01:36:53 am
I like the simple style, and I like StaticSails's edit too. I agree with Dusty that the highlights are bad (or at least too much).

Mixing pixel art with NPA is totally cool. But pure pixel art should probably be posted here.

The character sprite is very Superbrothers, but not as smoothly animated as his (their?) work. The arm jitters. It's a bit hard to read too. Is that whole grey rectangle the body? Is he holding a stick in his other (behind the body) hand? If so, consider having two different sets of frames for left and right facing. Probably feasible given the small (smaller than standard) sprite size. Would make it clearer.
To do: ??? Cow made my lovely avatar.

Offline ninto

• pixel fiesta
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 06:48:02 pm
Thanks.

As I mentioned earlier, that's most likely not going to be a character. Just a test.