AuthorTopic: some small character animations  (Read 6263 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

some small character animations

on: April 24, 2006, 03:38:07 pm

(4 frames)

(6 frames)

(6 frames)

i am new here, though i used to post on one of Pixelation's previous iterations.  I am trying to tune my character animation skills, particularly stretch/squash and blur effects.  These guys are mostly inspired by Metal Slug and Paul Robertson.  15 colors + alpha, 32x32.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Re: some small character animations

Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 07:39:34 pm
These are very cool. Cute sprite size too lol. The animations are pretty solid too.

You seem to be doing some minor form of fading with your shadows... thus the back of the guy's vest should probably fade as well (that gray lines in the vest...the last pixel on < side could be darker).

Animation wise, the gun fire seems slow, and lacks power. The individual frames are excellent, it just should be faster I suppose.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 08:05:51 pm
hey thx, you're right the gunshot is a little weak, i'm working something a little more powerful over the next few days.  also appreciate the shading crit!

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 11:30:28 pm
post your reference that you used for the gun shot animation.  It's almost identical to one i made for somebody back at the old pixelation forum.  Somebody else made the base (maybe it was you) but I animated it as an example.  I'm 99% positive you used it as a reference.  I'd post it myself however i seem to have lost it.  (it was a much smaller sprite in much the same style, but reddish)

sonic_reaper

Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 12:21:37 am
The gun shot animation bothers me a bit.  After the recoil he seems to get back in place by moving his ... toes?  It looks really akward.  Especially since he only moves back a pixel or so from what I can tell.  I would remove the part of the animation where he goes back and in place and I would concentrate more on the gunfire while keeping him in the same position.  Another suggestion is moving his legs farther apart when he is shooting.  They're very close together.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 12:40:18 am
my concern isnt so much that the legs move awkwardly as that they really shouldnt move much at all.  a person with a pistol held in both hands like that should barely feel a recoil past the shoulders, and thats if its a high-powered gun like a magnum.  pistols are weak, weaker than this, so im not sure why he should flop about.  military guns like the ones i would assume a soldier to carry are intended to be so light on the recoil that the soldier wont have his arm jerk around when every second and every round counts

i know people like recoil the way the US likes Israel, but more often than not, large recoil is not realistic in any way, and you would be better off without it
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

sonic_reaper

Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 12:42:58 am
The position of his legs look great in the standing animation.  Why even bother changing them for the gun shot animation?  It looks a bit contrived.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 12:46:15 am
indigo - i guess i'm just a 1% kind of guy because i made the firing animation yesterday with no references.  also, this sprite is only 32x32.  i assume yours must have been 16x16 or 8x8 if it was "much smaller"?  if you find it be sure to post it, i would love to see it :)  i have tried some 16s and they're really not easy, especially for full-body characters.

sonic_reaper - thx for crits, he is supposed to be kind of shuffling back into place after the force of the gunshot moved him back some.  he picks up his knees as he steps back into place, but maybe it is not clear enough.  I think i am going to keep the 1 pixel slide though, it gives me an excuse to use some blur lines :)

adarias - i guess i should have explained more in my first post, my intent was to make some cartoony, exaggerated animations.  If it was realistic, there would not be very much to animate - a little kick from the gun, a little flash maybe.  that isn't fun to make!  My goal was to make something, well, animated :)  thus the big head, way out of proportion body, etc.
EDIT - adarias i really like your tactics model btw, seeing your WIPs has been very helpful!

in general, these were practice for animated, metal-slug style characters.  thank you for the feedback regardless, i will keep it in mind for my next project!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 12:52:05 am by AdamAtomic »

Offline Billeh

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 12:51:57 am
I agree with the previous comments made by other CCers. But im also wondering on the firing animation what the skin tone is that appears on this foot. Is that meant to be a highlight?

ITs probably just me, but its bothering me.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 12:52:47 am
billeh - that is the discharged cartridge :)