AuthorTopic: WayForward Contest #3: Background artist (tiling)  (Read 104915 times)

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Re: WayForward Contest #3: Background artist (tiling)

Reply #140 on: March 27, 2006, 07:26:51 am
I'll try to do some crits when I have some free time. In the meantime, feel free of course to continue critiquing each other. :) As for listing votes v. listing only winners, I always kinda struggle on this. Ultimately I wanted to throw praise to as many people as I could. If one entry got 9 votes, and another got 5, it seems kind of wrong to have only one of the two take the glory. I apologize to anyone whose entry wasn't voted on (which of course is a majority of the entries, so don't take it personally) but that was my reason, to let those entrants who got votes know about it.

As for judging, all judges were shown the contest source images and I went over the rules with them, specifically that first line "Create a background in the same perspective as the Double Dragon map above, adapting elements, color themes and details from the above photo". It wasn't just a contest for solid pixelling, every judge knew what they were looking for. Of course, beautiful pixelling is also essential for a winning entry. Ultimately I'd say the judges (certainly myself included) voted on entries that looked great, were in the proper perspective and pulled elements and colors from the photo.

As for Alex's entry, I personally love it. But then, we've all come to expect that from him. The hills look like a lot of fun (and yes, are in the perspective of the DD - even though that game didn't have ramps, we're talking visual perspetive which in this case is generally straight-on building faces with 45-degree angled depth). I believe it was one of my three votes, but I've looked at them all so much it's hard to recall now.

"Im pretty dissappointed with how i ranked, one that got more votes than me barely even fits the criteria."

I believe I voted for yours as well, Taka. As far as elements from the photo, yours is way up there. And the pixelling is great. The only thing lacking slightly was cohesion and flow of the piece. It's very obvious where each tile is, and where the breaks are. Conversely, Vedsten's entry (which uses less elements from the photo) is incredibly creative in its tile use, to the point where it hardly looks tiled at all. There's no easy answer for all this, all I can say is I reinforced the idea to every judge before voting that we were considering all of these factors, not just which entry appealed to them visually (and as they judged, I saw a lot of clicking back and forth between the source images and the entries).

- Adam

Offline jalonso

• View Profile
    • jalonso pixelart and portfolio

Reply #141 on: March 27, 2006, 08:56:27 am
This was fun, and tilesets are really hard to do, I have a new found admiration for this type of pixelart. Congrats to the winners.

Offline hondo

• Wish you where here.
    • View Profile

Reply #142 on: March 27, 2006, 02:31:39 pm
Dang!  I dropped to 4th.  Ah well, I know mine was rushed and I wasn't very happy with it to be truthful.  But hey!  Congrats to the winners!  The streets are indeed very well done.  It was a good show by everyone I think. ^_^

Congrats again ^_^