AuthorTopic: One of my worst doom weapons  (Read 9733 times)

Offline lief

• View Profile

Re: One of my worst doom weapons

Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 10:19:35 pm
*ahem* bullshit.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 10:23:36 pm
 Heh, well maybe I should go for anatomy as one of the important ones.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 11:39:54 pm
The metal matches doom's style, but you should probably credit them for the part of the peice you didn't make

Andy Tran, is this a modified doom weapon? I can't guess which... is there a little bit of berzerker arm underneath? I don't know... If it is, please show the base and give credit for it.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 11:46:06 pm
not to gang, but im with lief.  anatomy and physics are always of the utmost importance, even in a stylized piece.  as far as anatomy in this piece, i wouldnt know whether to say its a bad hand or a bad foot or a bad potato, so theres no sense in critiquing on anatomy.
if part of this is riped or edited, im asking as an artist that you give credit to origin of it.  i cant make you, but if you did rip it and didnt say so, thats still an insult to the creator and the rest of the art world

the blast i think should be made directional, and a lot m,ore like light. atm, its looks scribbled in paint, and it has no lightlike qualities.  you may want to add lighting effects on the whateveritis as the blast happens, and lose that odd blue outline.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 12:47:00 am
The bottom part is the base of the fist from the original Doom.  The metal part might be original or it might be the tip of the plasma rifle or something, can't remember.  On that note, Doom's global palette really really sucks, if you're going to copy/paste from it at least fix the colors :p

Heh, well maybe I should go for anatomy as one of the important ones.

Most people just take exception to you totally dismissing it as unimportant is all :p if someone were to read that and believe you, you'd be setting them up for failure because you spoke out on a topic you obviously don't know much about.  There are forum members here who have been pixeling for years, and the fact that they never put anatomy high on their "to learn" list is glaringly apparent.  It's critical in any medium, any style.
typing ewith fdace

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 01:21:11 am
Anyway, all this discussion is probably useful for andy... I hope. As this is uncredited rip however, you get a warning, you get your topic locked and you're sincerily asked to reconsider what you plan to get out of pixelopolis.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #16 on: April 24, 2006, 01:37:37 am
 Thanks, it's useful. Well, I saw other pixel artists used sprite bases too. Because I am making this for a doom mod, nothing much illegal. Like when they make a pistol gun, they can have the original doom 2 hand on it. I will put credit for ID soft's.

Offline Doomraider

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 01:40:47 am
Thanks, but its also good to credit what part they made or noone is going to know if what theyre criticing will actually help you.
Theres a doom hand there, and possibly an edited plasma rifle tip, and maybe even some shotgun shells at the edge of the gun, or at least the colors from it?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 01:43:50 am by Doomraider »

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 01:51:25 am
 The gun wasn't really edited. I just used the doom palette to make the metal by using greys with high contrast. Then blended the shades in.

Offline Doomraider

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 01:54:06 am
Thats why I wasnt sure, It really does match doom style well, so good job on that part =P
Put that skill to use and make a real weapon into Doom, it'll be great