AuthorTopic: My First Platform Charectar Sprite  (Read 4923 times)

blackhawk77g

My First Platform Charectar Sprite

on: March 06, 2011, 11:01:42 pm
Lately Ive had a bit of free time, so I thought Id try my hang at making a small platform game. So Im here on the forum once again asking for a critique of my character sprite and the tileset (although I havent put much time into the tileset yet).
Heres the character

and heres the tileset

Heres the entire thing in action. Im thinking of doing an running animation sequence once I fix the entire thing up a bit.

Any thoughts, ways I can improve the charectar, etc? Im thinking of removing the lightbulb atached to his hat. Maybe I should move it.....

Offline zizou98

• View Profile

Re: My First Platform Charectar Sprite

Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 11:00:49 am
I think the light bulb fits perfectly  :) the tileset, in my opinion, can be a bit improved by adding something like neon lights, wires, eccetera. For the character, you should put the winder key thingy that turns while he walks. Maybe, add some logos on the walls of the levels, like portal. Keep up the good work!  :lol:

Offline Andrio

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 11:50:31 am
Needs more contrast between the background and foreground. Make one of them darker.

twitter | sup pixelation!

blackhawk77g

Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 03:13:21 am
Thanks. Ill get right on that. I was thinking of somehow implementing gears. Possibly make him a bit taller and use them as knees. I would add neon lights and things like that, but I was trying to keep a very bland, machine like, clean feel. I may add some type of wires. Ill try to add bolts or something to the tiles when I have time.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:05:13 am by blackhawk77g »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 12:28:56 pm
Needs more contrast between the background and foreground. Make one of them darker.
having it just darker will only slightly affect readability. I'd suggest you also tint the background towards cold hues.

blackhawk77g

Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 04:49:06 am
Update
I made a more pixely, nes version of the tiles. Anyone think they look better? (I didnt change the robot, cept for removing the fedora light)

Heres the normal background edit

Any thoughts? Im also going to work a bit on the tileset next. I think it needs a bit more variety.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:33:08 pm by blackhawk77g »

blackhawk77g

Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 03:34:23 am
Anyone?

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 04:37:38 pm
Anyone?
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr161/blackhawk77g/smoothandcartoony.png is the best looking one, but ... without willing to be rude ...
all squares
all grey
one BG tile and one FG tile.

I don't see much to say but "boring, uninspired, generic, déjà vu". Try to make your tileset tell a story about the place you are. Work with a smaller screen size so that you can identify and break monotony more easily.
Note that your robot seems to be hovering rather than standing, atm.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 08:58:57 pm
Of the two images in your latest post, I like the one on the top better because it suggests a 3d effect, with the platforms extending out from the wall. 

If you stick with the regular square background, the positions of the platforms relative to the squares could be more consistent.  If I was playing this game, one of the first things I would do is measure the jump/run distances against the background squares so I could easily discern if I could make a tricky jump. 

Tourist

blackhawk77g

Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 11:26:55 pm
Anyone?
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr161/blackhawk77g/smoothandcartoony.png is the best looking one, but ... without willing to be rude ...
all squares
all grey
one BG tile and one FG tile.

I don't see much to say but "boring, uninspired, generic, déjà vu". Try to make your tileset tell a story about the place you are. Work with a smaller screen size so that you can identify and break monotony more easily.
Note that your robot seems to be hovering rather than standing, atm.
My goal for the tile set was bland, emotionless yet cartoony feel. It fits in well with the game concept. Thanks for noticing the hovering affect, I’ve been meaning to fix that. I guess Ill get right on applying your suggestions. Thanks for the criticism.
Of the two images in your latest post, I like the one on the top better because it suggests a 3d effect, with the platforms extending out from the wall. 

If you stick with the regular square background, the positions of the platforms relative to the squares could be more consistent.  If I was playing this game, one of the first things I would do is measure the jump/run distances against the background squares so I could easily discern if I could make a tricky jump. 

Tourist
Hmm a very interesting way of looking at things. Ill see what I can do and try to make the positions of the platforms be relative with the grid background. I also agree that they should pop out a bit more, ill get right on that.

Thanks for the help