AuthorTopic: Canti From FLCL  (Read 3115 times)

Offline AmuroC

• View Profile
    • AmuroC on DA

Canti From FLCL

on: March 06, 2011, 07:32:41 am

My attempt at doing "real" shading. What I mean is having a definite light source. Good try?
You say Justin Bieber I say Flobots / You say Drake I say They Might Be Giants / You say T-pain I say Gorillaz / You say Hannah Montana I punch you in the face! /  DON'T LET THE SPIRIT OF ROCK DIE!

Offline Demian

• View Profile

Re: Canti From FLCL

Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 03:28:14 pm
I think it looks too smooth and is hard to tell at first sight where the light is coming from, lacking contrast so far. Search for metal shading tutorials, good look!
^^

Offline AmuroC

• View Profile
    • AmuroC on DA

Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 04:53:08 am

I attempted to fix the shading and added wings for fun (If you couldn't tell). :P
This is the first time I've drawn wings also.
You say Justin Bieber I say Flobots / You say Drake I say They Might Be Giants / You say T-pain I say Gorillaz / You say Hannah Montana I punch you in the face! /  DON'T LET THE SPIRIT OF ROCK DIE!

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 05:50:02 am

Might want to grab a reference to follow.

Looks like you've skipped the coolest part. HIS TORSO!

He's also a fairly square robot, your sprite is very rounded. Like he's built of PVC pipes.

Offline IvanX

• Blink Blink
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 10:13:34 am

Though I'd give you my two cents.
Bare with the unfinshed edit. (and the lack of a jacket)

I noticed your work relied heavily on the outline to give Canti shape, and while this isn't the worst thing you could do, you could better use the single pixel outline to define the basic shapes of his body.
The shading itself is really just pillow shading which is considered a huge no-no. Try to define a proper light source before you even head onto the shapes themselves, and don't be afraid of having light pixels border the dark one because that's a mistake I used to make when I started.
Final thing I'll say is Canti is slouching; not necessarily a bad thing, but it really takes away from his imposing self.

I guess from here I'll just link you to link you to Helm's Magic thread which provided me with some glorious knowledge.

Also, good luck.  :y: