AuthorTopic: [WIP] Roman legionnaire  (Read 10942 times)

Offline Demian

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Roman legionnaire

Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 09:09:20 pm
I just love it ::)
^^

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 10:51:27 pm
I just love it ::)
Hopefully you'll love this one more (some minor work has been done to his arms, leather etc

(so I'm still kinda new to what should and shouldn't be done on this forum, is it OK to keep posting as many updates with pretty much minor changes?)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 11:10:33 pm by Greger »

Offline Demian

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 02:21:22 pm
Hey, good improvements overall!

The only thing i dislike in this new version is the helm, you added some dark pixels wich dont seem to work. The helm is where you have the biggest amount of isolated pixels -wich don't fit with metal at all- they look noisy and add some texture to it. That kind of texture there makes me think of this:
http://www.historyshop.piratemerch.com/images/chain_mail_56.jpg
^^

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 03:14:02 pm
Hey, good improvements overall!

The only thing i dislike in this new version is the helm, you added some dark pixels wich dont seem to work. The helm is where you have the biggest amount of isolated pixels -wich don't fit with metal at all- they look noisy and add some texture to it. That kind of texture there makes me think of this:
http://www.historyshop.piratemerch.com/images/chain_mail_56.jpg

That's a really good point, I feel kinda dumb not thinking about that when I worked on it. So, here's a new helmet with more shine, and also some minor reworking on his face (and change of colour on the darkest shade of the skin)

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 12:10:51 am
Sorry for the bump (again), I've done some more work on his head and contrast. I got some feedback on another forum regarding perspective, that you should be able to see either the top of his feet or neck and beneath the chin. I'm kinda lazy so I went with making neck & beneath his chin;

Offline Retronator

• Matej 'Retro' Jan
    • retronator
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/24236.htm
    • retronator
    • retronator
    • retronator
    • View Profile
    • Retronator

Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 04:09:04 pm
I just resgistered, only so I could say how much I think you've progressed from the first version to now. I was refered here from tigsource, randomly picked a topic and saw this ...  :y: Only the nose still bothers me, like it would be crooked or shaded in the wrong direction. But otherwise, really amazing learning!

Offline metachaos

• "Feed me with bacon"
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 04:24:48 pm
Excellent job!  face seems weirdoo though       :y:
*          /!\ Waiting for the singularity /!\            *

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 05:22:42 pm
I just resgistered, only so I could say how much I think you've progressed from the first version to now. I was refered here from tigsource, randomly picked a topic and saw this ...  :y: Only the nose still bothers me, like it would be crooked or shaded in the wrong direction. But otherwise, really amazing learning!
Haha, nice :) Yes, the nose is something I can't quite get right.
I've gotten a lot of help (both directly and indirectly) through this forum so a lot of credit goes to this forum in regards of me learning, it still amazes me at the amount of high-quality stuff that is posted here. And the people are extremely helpful too, every post you read with critique makes you learn something new every time.

Excellent job!  face seems weirdoo though       :y:
Thanks! That is something I agree with you, getting it look realistic is pretty hard. I've done some more changes now in the face, such as making the helmet 1px shorter and the chin-flap more on the side to fit with the way he has angled his head.

Offline malkomk

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 06:13:57 pm
You should make the nose more noticeable. Other than that, great. I like the new pose much better than the old one.

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 09:30:02 pm
You should make the nose more noticeable. Other than that, great. I like the new pose much better than the old one.

Making the nose more noticeable is something I have trouble with doing, I could possibly add another shade for the flesh that is brighter but that would be a colou only used for 2-3 pixels. Any ideas on how I could do it with the current palette? :)
Yes the new pose is a lot better, it's amazing what just such a small change can do for a picture.