AuthorTopic: [WIP] Roman legionnaire  (Read 10943 times)

Offline Greger

• View Profile

[WIP] Roman legionnaire

on: March 05, 2011, 08:28:03 pm
Hello again, I began drawing a roman legionnaire a couple of days ago, pictured below ;

At first I was pretty pleased with how it turned out, but after I went to bed and woke up the next day I saw some glaring errors that I hadn't noticed last night.
This leads me to the current picture where I'm retooling the whole picture ;

This is the picture that matters. I was pleased with a couple of parts of the soldier such as the loincloth, the spear, sheat for the sword, helmet, feet, right arm and shield. Still, I'm pretty sure you guys can point out any things I've done badly in those parts so I would like some help with fixing those errors first before I continue on.

If that makes any sense, thanks in advance :)

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Roman legionnaire

Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 12:26:11 am
Ok I have coloured it all now, I would very much appreciate any CC that can be given.

Edit : I changed the shoulder pads back to the old style, did some work on the helmet, his chest armour and legs.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 11:56:02 am by Greger »

Offline Seitilaer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 01:20:17 pm
I can't see a definite light source and his arm positions look awkward ( especially his left arm ). Other than that, I love the color and the concept. :)

Offline Demian

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 02:55:01 pm
Maybe adding a bit more contrast in the metalic stuff?
^^

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 02:58:17 pm
I can't see a definite light source and his arm positions look awkward ( especially his left arm ). Other than that, I love the color and the concept. :)
Yes that is something I really need to work on, I always start colouring it without any real thought on where the light is coming from. I haven't really thought that much about the pose but yeah it does look awkward, I think I'm going to have to redo the arms so that they 'stray' away more from the body, and have them at more realistic angles.

Maybe adding a bit more contrast in the metalic stuff?
I'll see what I can do!

Edit:
Ok so I've scratched the whole colouring due to me not having a set lightsource, I've also decided to go with a lot more simplified shading, and another pose:

15 colours, one main, one highlight and one shade. Personally I think the pose is a lot better now! What do you guys think? Is it less awkward?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:39:36 pm by Greger »

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 05:08:46 pm
I've begun colouring the skin of him now ;

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 06:19:58 pm
Pose looks much better now!  :y:

There's something funny going on with his spear elbow, it looks like it's puckering up or a huge scar or something, I would try to smooth that out a bit. Also, the eyes are really incongruous, he's shaded and proportioned pretty realistically; at that scale, his eyes would look more like dark splotches (maybe a little of the lighter skin tones), but you have the white visible as white, which looks very cartoony.

Anyways, looking good so far, can't wait to see more!

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 08:27:02 pm
Pose looks much better now!  :y:

There's something funny going on with his spear elbow, it looks like it's puckering up or a huge scar or something, I would try to smooth that out a bit. Also, the eyes are really incongruous, he's shaded and proportioned pretty realistically; at that scale, his eyes would look more like dark splotches (maybe a little of the lighter skin tones), but you have the white visible as white, which looks very cartoony.

Anyways, looking good so far, can't wait to see more!

Yeah I see what you mean with the arm, I think I've fixed that one now.
Agreed on the eyes, I'm not going for the cartoony style on this one so the eyes should definiatly be a lot smaller. I think that issue is fixed now ;

I added another tone of the skin to make it pop out a bit more now, I've done some colouring on the armour too where I'm trying to make it seem as if it's been worn to battle.
Edit2 ; Ok that one looked like tinfoil, cut down a lot on the shiny bits now.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 09:50:47 pm by Greger »

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 11:48:08 pm
I've done some changes in the lightning, it's a bit darker now ;

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 12:56:32 pm
Shield, leather and spear has been coloured now ;

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 01:58:49 pm by Greger »