AuthorTopic: [WIP][C & C] Platformer character animation  (Read 3945 times)

Offline lopho

• View Profile
    • lopho.org

[WIP][C & C] Platformer character animation

on: March 05, 2011, 03:19:11 pm
hi there,
im currently working on a game, and got fed up with coding, so to get my head free i started on making some assets.
im still mostly without an art direction, but maybe itll develop into something soon.

anyways, im not very experienced in pixeling, only made some stuff once in a while.

:D here it comes:

main char (maybe) :

_

some basic mockup scene ( a bit overloaded) :

_ _ __ _

any suggestions on how to animate this hunk of a block (the character :p ), or how it might be interacting?
other feedback most welcome as well.

EDIT:  oh, yeah, it'll be 'kind of' a platformer.

======================================
Current Status:
_
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 11:52:37 am by lopho »

Offline TheChannel

• Sky Rockets in Flight, Afternoon Delight.
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Blocky type character C & C

Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 07:51:09 pm
Seeing as he is rectangular a box will be a great disguise.

Offline lopho

• View Profile
    • lopho.org

Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 12:38:15 pm
Update:
fixed the arm:

_

made some animations:

idle:

_

running:

_ _ __ _

i'm truly unhappy about how the legs move, it just looks...... weird, after a while.
currently running is only a 4 frame animation, thinking of doubling it to get something smoother.

@TheChannel
that box thing could fit quite nice, i think ill make a mockup with him hiding under a box or something.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:01:24 pm by lopho »

Offline Seitilaer

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 01:15:45 pm
Maybe you could change the background color to a slight orange tinge for a sunset scene because yellow looks too bland, IMO. Other than that, I think your character looks awesome and I love the up and down movements it make :D Good luck !

Offline Demian

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 03:10:00 pm
I can imagine him walking giving the feeling of a pendulum with his arms.
Idle animation has too much movement for breathing, i would try making him look around, scratch his head, yawn, kicking some stone or maybe just changing the approach to simply expand his chest instead of going up and down.
About the running animations, i think i would combine them, the second one looks like he is accelerating and the other seems to be more stable, running at full speed.
I really like what you have done so far, hope it helps!  :)

Edit: When you rotate the torso and head, the light should not rotate with them  :P
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 10:21:43 pm by Demian »
^^

Offline lopho

• View Profile
    • lopho.org

Re: [WIP][C & C] Platformer character animation

Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 12:13:16 pm
UPDATE:

i made some more animations for crouching, jumping and turning.
put all of them together in a mockup to get the feel of motion:

_
somehow that guy reminds me of wario in sml 3 for gb.

im using 60ms frames here, but in game the movement will be smoother as itll run at 60fps vsync.
movement speeds are still just basic, i will try to get them more natural (especially the jumping), but later once i have my code far enough to do some prototyping.

@Demian
I actually wasnt thinking of breathing when making the idle animation, more of an unrest.  I actually like how he bounces up and down.
I tried another idle one with him breathing but it really looked awkward, maybe ill give it another try later.
Idle probably isnt the right description, its more of a "standing" pose, ill come up with something more interesting for idling, just like you said, yawning, kicking scratching type of stuff.
Took your advice and combined the running animations to have the stable one a full speed and the other for accelerating.

Regarding the lightning: yes, at first glance it looks like there is some movement in the light (running animation) but it really only is the change of shape of the face, as the nose and mouth are farther out and the eyes are further in.  I image him being of cylindrical shape, so the light should always stay where it is when rotating.

Thanks for the feedback so far, keep it coming!  :y:

edit: sorry for changing the thread subject/title, but i hope this will be more descriptive.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 12:50:37 pm by lopho »

Offline Demian

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 02:15:30 pm
Everything looks amazing, you are right about the light hehe :P
Can u add some more detail to the jumping animation? moving arms a bit, hair, mouth, eyes... Jump looks so simple compared to the other movements. Good look!
^^

Offline adamisgr8

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 07:25:13 pm
I really like this! I will take you as a small rolemodel =D
+1