AuthorTopic: New Pixel "artist"  (Read 5421 times)

Offline zizou98

• View Profile

New Pixel "artist"

on: March 04, 2011, 06:10:37 pm
Hi, I'm new to pixelart AND this forum, and I need some criticism for my "art". ;D I wanted to do something simple with that feeling of "oh that's nice..... Wait, wut!?" :) ??? and that simple look. I don't know if this can be judged as pixelart, having seen all your work...
Prepare your eyes for my ultimate fails...
Number 1 (need criticism, but otherwise finished)
ZOMBIES LIKE BRAINS

I started this while I was bored in MS paint, and modified it numerous times to get the corpse to look well. At least, QUITE well.
-----
Number 2 (same as before)
NINJAS HATE PIRATES

Did this after the previous one. Took me a lot to find the right colours.
-----
Number 3 (A work in progress)
THE MONORAIL CAT

This is a real work in progress since I obviously didn't finish it. I just got the classic monorail cat lolcat and started copying it in MS paint, pixel style.
-----
Number 4 (I think it's finished...)
SACKBOY!!!

In my opinion, this is awesomely cool. But, nonetheless, probably needs improvement and maybe (maybe) is too small.

So guys, I really need your feedback. These are my first works, so tell me if yours were a bit like this.
A thank you to all the people who will answer me and help me improve.
Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 06:57:44 pm by zizou98 »

Offline Dwimori

• View Profile

Re: New Pixel "artist"

Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 08:20:22 pm
First of all, welcome to pixel art. First of all I have to say this stick/chibi style isn't my thing, but don't be discouraged: style is a choice, not a mandate. My crits are going to be ones common to beginners, ones most people made a time or two in their first few works.First of all, it looks like you're using the circle tool in MS Paint, a big no-no. Circles will look far better drawn by hand. The second is shading, or rather, lack thereof. Please, please, shade. This step can be quite intimidating for new pixellers, but but is absolutely essential. Part of the reason it appears to be intimidating is lack of know-how, I think, which often leads to pillow shading. If you can avoid this mistake, it will be a lot better for you. First one looks like the concept could lead to a very hilarious piece by the way... or sick, depending on style, but with this one I think I'll lean toward funny. I won't suggest anything about AA, dithering or the likes, because of your newness, and such. Once again, welcome to this medium of art.
EDIT: crits, not cries
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 08:42:15 pm by Dwimorí »

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 09:09:30 pm
First of all, it looks like you're using the circle tool in MS Paint, a big no-no. Circles will look far better drawn by hand.
I don't really mind the circle tool as long as it's cleaned up. It can make symmetrical shapes quickly.

I suggest you look over some threads on this site. They're far more valuable than most tutorials.
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=8110.0
and maybe this one too
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=10784.0

I suggest you read a lot of the threads and familiarize yourself with some of the basic techniques. Basic art techniques too, like shading and color.

Offline Dwimori

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 01:19:35 am
You're right Snails, though I tend to avoid using it because I get lazy if I use tricks like that, and some others do to. It's not so much a 'big' no-no as something to be avoided if it can be I guess. But yah, there's the difference of opinion that shows my statement of style being choice to be true. I'll shut up now... :-[

Offline zizou98

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 10:58:04 am
Thanks for the crits guys  :) I forgot to mention that Sackboy was made in Gimp. Yes, I am using the circle tool. Does anybody know any good softwares for pixelling? Thanks. I am not too good at shading, but if you look closely at the sackboy (Hint: zoooooom!) You can see the shadow on the ground (not made with the shadow tool [is there such thing in gimp?]). Continue critisizing! ;D

Offline Andrio

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 11:52:52 am
mspaint is a great tool for pixel art. Try not to use GIMP/Photoshop.

twitter | sup pixelation!

Offline zizou98

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 12:17:32 pm
ಠ_ಠ
I read on a tut that paint was crap, and Gimp was good.  ???
Seriously, ಠ_ಠ

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 12:24:42 pm
MS Paint is a decent tool, it got all the basic stuff you need for pixel art. That said, GIMP and Photoshop both are extremely potent tools that have many more uses than MS Paint. It really is just a matter of preference, both GIMP and Photoshop can do what MS Paint can. I don't see why you shouldn't use GIMP or Photoshop if you want to, as long as you work with the individual pixels and refrain from using any of the special effects/tools that manipulate the picture in those two programs.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 07:12:05 pm
I don't really know what I did with your "Ninjas hate Pirates" piece but I kinda like it.

Observe. See how things are shaded and don't really have outlines? Well that's about all I can come up with for now, later I might have something more.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 07:19:12 pm by pistachio »

Offline Keizgon

• View Profile
    • Keizgon Arts

Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 06:46:51 am
mspaint is a great tool for pixel art. Try not to use GIMP/Photoshop.

How about you refrain from posting semantic wars for "tools" (especially when you haven't obviously touched either one)? The tools you mentioned aren't bad at all for making pixel art. I use GIMP exclusively for pixel art and I find it perfect for it. It's free, open source, and for Linux (what I use). The only thing GIMP really needs right now is an improved animation package, and the extension with GAP isn't really that useful right now, as there really isn't any dynamic productivity in it (though flipping between frames isn't hard either).

Stick figures isn't an art style. It's a conceptual choice. Don't mix the two to back up a reason to only draw in one way, this will stunt you. If you're going to focus on drawing circles and sticks, at least understand some fundamentals about basic shapes and, in your conceptual choice, removing those outlines as you seem to be portraying vector art in a pixel art fashion. This is ok, but honestly, you might want to look into vector art if this your only purpose, as there is many applications for this digital art form. I love pixel art, but in today's age, you'll learn that vector art is sometimes much better in places like this. You can scale up or down without any consequences. You seem to be doing just basic shapes there so I would recommend vector art, as it's VERY VERY easy to draw as and manipulate. Pixel art I would recommend for something like that cat. It's more of a complex shape, but even complex shapes can be drawn through vector graphics. Of course if your application is meant for something completely raster (HTML5 for example isn't a good choice for vector, as it isn't ready for it), I would go for raster.

Sorry for the interjection, I'm more of a lurker here than a teacher. I mostly point newbie pixel artists here for as it's a good place to start and learn from, but I didn't think people were starting to be misinformed that a tool is just a tool, and bashing a tool that you don't know anything about is pure nonsense.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:53:48 am by KratosX »