AuthorTopic: i have too much time on my hands.  (Read 5530 times)

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

i have too much time on my hands.

on: April 22, 2006, 11:48:25 am

29 colours i think. would be interested in getting this down a bit if anyone has any ideas.
thinking about doing a background but not seriously thinking about doing a background.

C&C is wicked fun.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: i have too much time on my hands.

Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 12:23:06 pm
God yes. This is great!! That bottom green head seems to have too much green, maybe mix some other colours, like some of the browns, into its eyes. In regards to culling colours, maybe you could replace the darkest brown with the darkest blue-green in that top head?

Offline kerisu

• What is the wrong with me?
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

You do have too much time on your hands.

Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 12:10:09 am
Rather than adding a background, I think your should just add some more abstract face/plant things in the empty space...  :D

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 02:21:25 am
Frighteningly awesome. I agree with Kerisu, though. Those faces are great, 'specially the big one on top and the lowest, green one. Reminds me of Alice in wonderland. Very angled...

Cool.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 05:30:02 am
Trippin... very interesting to look at. The head on the bottom could use some more color like EyeCraft mentioned, you have many nearby colors to choose from (the white, red, blue smoke etc). Also the leaves seem flat, you could add some larger areas of general light and dark tones to give more depth.

Offline Dan

• "Haha The Man"
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 11:13:22 am
WICKED! I love drawing faces! These wiz all over mine! They are brilliant... I would love to see either a background or more weird beings.
That's the way the cookie crumbles. - Do the bug bob.     - Woot!

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 09:54:41 pm
great brainstorming session.  everything looks as if it has not enough put into it though, the elements are unpolished.  the style used here is a style i see many of the younger pixelationer/pixelopolisicans (not saying you are young) moving to and it disappoints me, maybe I'm just getting too old. :)
I really do like the cloud although due to the fairly straight line on the lower side I have to tilt my head to appreciate it.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 01:13:09 am
They'll grow out of it lief :P the ones that are capable of expanding as an artist will do so with tender loving care.

This piece is stylized but it has lots of artistic merit going for it, the faces are real expressive (the big one has a face that says "i'm sticking out of a tree :(").  We all have our stylistic roots.. no sense in drawing for fun if you're not drawing in a way that feels good and is productive.

Anyway, c+c: 

the color choices look fantastic against white, since it's pixeled against white I'm not sure how it would look against anything else.  The purple and red clash, intentional? 

Shadows aren't all that prnounced or dark, round forms like noses, tree trunks, etc look a little flat.
typing ewith fdace

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 08:59:42 am
wooo finally got time to update (or rather motivation).

-added subtle ambient lighting on tree trunk
-redid foliage of tree
-coloured bottom green face some
-changed the red drop to a blue drop
-fixed the blue drop that was falling strangely

think thats it.

@Eyecraft: the bottom head was originally done as a standalone piece (so it was happy being only green) then as i continued to add onto it, it grew more complex and coloured so i guess the bottom head was due for a touch up. thanks for the lovely comment.
@kerisu: would love to. maybe add some fading into the white. i have a whole bunch of these crazy abstract things in my sketchbooks and skull :P
@Xion Night: Everyone is saying it reminds them of Alice.  wasn't particularly alice inspired or anything... must be the mushroom :P
@Dhoas: thanks for the crits, i agree with you whole-heartedly  and hopefully i fixed this up in the edit
@Dan: yeah i'm still pondering over the background. lief is saying this bit needs more polish. speaking of lief...
@lief: Teach me to polish and i'll do my best to polish. I really wish i could spit out wonderful pieces but i guess i'm not quite up to that yet :/ I'm sorry you have to tilt your head to see the cloud but i'm thinking it would lose some of its lovelyness if it were more horizontal.
@goat: i was thinking a background that would also be pixelled to white so as to keep the colours good lookin :D I still need to work on the noses but perhaps the tree trunk roundness has be helped by the ambient lighting?

urgh. i don't want to stop yet. Further C&C would be much apperciated.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 09:19:35 pm
leaves are looking much better, I would use the next darkest purple to really deepen the highlights and extend the tonal range though.

trunk changes are definately subtle.  the detail shading is great, add some overall directional lighting to add a sense of solidness.  this is where shading the details too early is difficult to fix later on, it helps to establish the major lighting of a piece before jumping in too deep with details.  as gjoat mentioned, the color combination of pipe, mushroom and the larger face' eyes (and some other stuff) really do not go together well at all.  Add some luminance seperation maybe?
the mushroom cap would shade the stalk to great effect.

the hair on the large face needs some mid-strand highlights, it looks a bit flat.
you need some darker shades, or rather you need to deepen your existing shades.

this edit was a step forward, keep at it!