AuthorTopic: WIP - Head *Update* Finished!  (Read 6032 times)

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Re: WIP - Head *Update* Finished!

Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 11:07:28 pm
throw in another shade or highlight..
one or two.

you have 2 shades for hair and 4 for face
the hair has no depth compared to the face. do it the same way, just throw in shadows where you have large clumps of brown, and highlights in the large parts of lighter colour.

dont use grey for your AA on the face. use darker shades of skin tone to merge into the black.

could do without some dither on the face. still use it yes.. but get rid of some.. he looks grungy.

throw a shadow onto the neck under the chin because its like his head and neck are one (yes i know.. they are connected) but head is higher thus shadowing the neck opposed to it being an extention off the cheek.

vary up your dither pattern too. dont just use diagonal lines, try to make your dither in to curves in areas.

his whole left(our right) side of face seems higher than the opposite. he seems lopsided.

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 11:38:11 pm
Thanks flaber, I'll fix it up.  And now that I look at it again, the face is overdithered.

Also, lief, the image shows fine for me.  Maybe imageshack was down or something.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 05:45:58 am
k, so...
little side track.. except it can still be relevant to this thread...

we were talking about ways of colouring hair..
so i figured id talk alittle bit more on this, i suppose...

so going back to what i was saying about deep shadows and highlights blend, while the mid tones define the hair. looking at comic books, and several other stuff, it has been done, so why not we apply it here?

heres a scan i took of a book i own (Drawing the Head and Figure - Jack Hamm)

notice where the shadows fall? it all blends in, same with the extreme highlights.. yet there is still individual strands of hair. looking specifically at the girl with the flowers in her hair.. by throwing in that detail it gives it a sense of form, more direction, texture.
obviously though we cannot cram in that much detail in pixels, but you can do a toned down variation.
Iv been playing around with this on some random things here and there and it can work.
choose the blacks to be your darkest shade (ex: black or dark brown)
choose the whites to be roughly your second lightest colour.
now you have thrown in some base colours, just colour the same you would anything else.
add in your midtones to create transition between light and dark and to vary up intensitys of shadows and highlights. id say that something like this could be done in atleast/minimum of 4 colours. black, midtone, white filler, even lighter still. but its up to you how you want to colour.

i find that you can make this work once you understand the concept behind it.
but ehhh, just thoughts i suppose.

again its all for personality of picture, not every piece can pull it off, therefore using the other method is just as good, if not better for that one.
just thought id share a different concept/idea towards this.

this doesnt specifically relate to your picture gnarf, but perhaps this may help in getting an idea. personally i feel that lief is right on this one.

yupyups

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 11:27:34 pm
Although I'm not going for the similar style, that certainly does help.  I like to do a lot of sketches and I could definitely use the advice since I tend to make my characters bald a lot (due to lack of knowledge with hair highlights.)  Once again, I learned something.  Thanks man, and I'll definitely work on these things since they're weakpoints of mine.  I'm glad I joined Pixelopolis; I've actually recieved helpful advice since.