AuthorTopic: [WIP] Game Sprites  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Hazzy

• View Profile

[WIP] Game Sprites

on: March 02, 2011, 12:15:05 pm
Alright lets go first post!
Working on sprites for a game I'm working on and just need a little help/tips on my spriting (basically need a few pointers on how I can improve these):

(Gonna redesign this one later, no idea why he has a metal arm - was meant to be armour at first but ended up as a metal arm...)
Character 1:

My fail version of trying to make him face right:

(Sort of priest guy)
Character 2:

Alt colour (tried hiding the face on this one, for example trying to hide the identity of the character)

(Ice Mage - Ateast going to be)
Character 3:

Alt colour

Different game project (Less detailed sprites)
During Battle

Overworld

My current obstacle is making the same character face left/right (For the more detailed sprites) and then I have problems with doing the animation, just need a few pointers with that.
Or in general everything here could be better and I'm still learning so I'll be thankful for any advice :).

Thanks.
- Hazzy

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Game Sprites

Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 12:39:00 am
Tone down the colors on the map! They burn the eyes :o
Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline Dwimori

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 02:11:03 am
I second the motion to tone down the colours, they are, at this moment, far too saturated. Even opening GIMP/Photoshop and adjusting the saturation slider could really improve this, though you might end up needing to up the contrast too, sometimes weird stuff happens. Manual swapping is, of course, preferred. I also suggest transition tiles between the land and ocean, this will add alot to the piece without even being that much work. As with any piece, the potential is there, you just have to work at it. I also have to ask - why does the top 'Treeling' have single pixel eyes when the rest have mario mushroom-esque eyes?

Offline Hazzy

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 06:15:39 am
I second the motion to tone down the colours, they are, at this moment, far too saturated. Even opening GIMP/Photoshop and adjusting the saturation slider could really improve this, though you might end up needing to up the contrast too, sometimes weird stuff happens. Manual swapping is, of course, preferred. I also suggest transition tiles between the land and ocean, this will add alot to the piece without even being that much work. As with any piece, the potential is there, you just have to work at it. I also have to ask - why does the top 'Treeling' have single pixel eyes when the rest have mario mushroom-esque eyes?

As for the top 'Treeling' having single pixel eyes is due to the animation of the eyes to show a blinking effect. (The 'Treeling' just so happened to blink when I took a screenshot)

I have reduced the colour bleed on the grass tile and looks much better now, no idea why I didn't do it in the first place heh.
Well... Just going to have to keep working at it!

Thanks for the feedback guys.