AuthorTopic: [WIP] A simple building  (Read 2682 times)

Offline Artaserse

• View Profile

[WIP] A simple building

on: February 28, 2011, 09:27:44 pm
Well, i was trying to learn isometric pixel art and i've just drawn this

ref: LinkLink  and  Link for the idea ( :o )
Everything i've drawn is a couple of tiles for the walls and one for the roofs.
Now the roof seems flat with no thickness, there's no windows or doors, but i'll draw them and i must finish the shape of the building, because it seems cut. :)
What can i improve?

Offline Gemini166

• Professional Pixel Mutilator
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] A simple building

Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 02:15:45 am
I'm kinda new myself, but I did an edit to show you what I saw. This is my first edit, actually!  :D

The first thing I noticed was that your roof tiles are straight up and down, while the rest of your building is diagonal, so I changed them around a little to fit the perspective. With my edit, your brightest blue got a bit too intense, so I toned it down a little. My tiles weren't the correct width for the two roofs on the right, but you get the idea. Also, near the peak got tricky, but if you google "roof tile", you can see a fancy overhang thing they use for angles, so you can probably put in one of those.
Another thing was that there were cracks(?) in the walls in some places, but not in the triangular areas between the roof and planks, so I reused some of your existing cracks up there so it didn't look like those high areas were unfairly maintained.
I did do a little bit of shading, but I couldn't see any particular light source, so It was mostly just the wood under the roof overhang.
I did some other small edits where the wooden parts are concerned, as well. For example, I changed the bottoms where they would connect to the ground to try and add more depth, and, since I felt that the wood should stick out from the wall a little, I brought some walls in a pixel. I also repositioned the black lines separating some of the planks because they didn't "feel" quite right to me.
Other than that, you should probably choose a light source to base shading on, and, while I don't know much about banding(when it's appropriate, etc.), you might want to ask someone who does about that.
Anyways, keep it up, and if I gave any bad advice, hopefully one of the better pixellers will step in and correct me; I still don't quite know what I'm doing, but I have read some C&C, so I sort of have a basis for my edits.  ;)

Offline Artaserse

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] A simple building

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 11:04:47 am
gemini166, you should post edits often :P

I completely forgot to add cracks on those triangular parts and the light should be the same as link .
So, here is another try.
This time I added two windows, adjusted shadows and made the roofs flat, i also fixed the black lines and the bottom of the planks.

maybe the biggest roof should be wider?