AuthorTopic: Bard Game? [WIP] [C&C Appreciated]  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Gemini166

• Professional Pixel Mutilator
    • View Profile

Bard Game? [WIP] [C&C Appreciated]

on: February 27, 2011, 07:06:28 pm
I was thinking about DDO(my favorite class in this is Bard so far) when I had a nifty idea. Basically it's a game where you play as a Bard, who goes dungeon delving alone or (preferably) with a group of adventurers. Perhaps there would be a multiplayer where someone played as a Warrior, Rogue, etc., but that is neither here nor there. Anyway, after having this idea, I have pixeled a little bard. I'm still a newb, though, so it doesn't look quite right:

The main thing I see is that his lute looks a bit too big. Also, I probably used a super generic chainmail pattern, but that's all I could think of for a sprite of this size.
As a side note, I don't have the knowledge necessary to program any kind of game right now, but I think it would be a fun project once I do. I'll probably start on some other characters(as well as animating Bard) once I know how to improve this guy, so I don't mess up in the same place twice.
Thanks in advance!

Edit: I have a rough draft of the warrior now, too:

The sword wanted to blend in with his armor too much, so I pushed the armor blue and the sword/shield tan. The sword still obscures his face(helmet) a lot, which irks me, but if I make it shorter he won't have the range I want.  :(

Edit(again): I now have a healer class (don't know what I'm gonna call it)

My main problem with him is that I can't see his implement. I guess I'll find a way around that later.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 04:38:04 pm by Gemini166 »

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Re: Bard Game? [WIP] [C&C Appreciated]

Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 10:10:15 pm
A party based RPG with an emphasis on bards.  What a tale that would be.  Maybe a trilogy of tales....

Kid, you're making grandpa feel his age again.  *sigh*   I bought this game in the shops and played it five or six years before you were born, if the age in your profile is correct.  There were two sequels as well.  That said, if the game was popular enough for a trilogy, and it's not recognized by folks your age, there is certainly room for a new game along similar lines. 

I am surprised at how much your image resembles the image above.  Vest, lute, green and blue colors, all similar.  Were you using it as a reference, or is there some sort of persistent idea of what a bard looks like that has survived so long?  Just curious.

Tourist

Offline Gemini166

• Professional Pixel Mutilator
    • View Profile

Re: Bard Game? [WIP] [C&C Appreciated]

Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 10:30:03 pm
What the Cabbage!? :o It's already been done??!  :'( Although I should hope the gameplay I'm seeing in my head differs greatly from whatever gameplay that entails. And actually, the pants were going to be brown, but then the boots got pretty tricky being a similar color, so blue it was. And since I envisioned myself playing the bard, his other color became my favorite: green. The chainmail vest was going to be a shirt, but the sleeves tossed me a curveball, so chainmail vest it was. And the lute: well, it's a lute. It's a pretty traditional bard instrument, and while he COULD play something else, I think the lute is the most stereotypically recognizeable Bard instrument. Although it is REALLY coincidental that they're so similar... I may have to find those games so I can see what they're like.