AuthorTopic: [Finished] Man rowing boat  (Read 4637 times)

Offline Greger

• View Profile

[Finished] Man rowing boat

on: February 22, 2011, 12:58:56 pm
Hello esteemed members of Pixelation, the finest pixel-art forum on the internet. I've been lurking around here for a while now and I figure now would be a good time to join to publish both my art and to help others with critique.

The backstory of this picture is the following ;
I'm planning on drawing a man, rowing his boat in the middle of the ocean. He has a barrel of toxic waste with him that he plans to dump, effectively killing each and every fish in the location nearby. He will then laugh like a maniac, saying fuck the ocean. So far I've done the following ;
This is void, decided to go with just a man rowing.

The man rowing the boat, I plan on adding waves and ripples in the water around the boat (something I forgot to draw when I drew it) and smoothing out the boat pushing forward.

I've also drawn the barrel that the man is pushing out of the boat, no animaton on the man himself though ;

The splash has been reworked and coloured, which is the picture below:

All of this is pretty much new territory for me so I'm sort of stumbling around, and I'd love some critique on this. I will keep updating this thread with progress on it all :)
Thank you for taking your time!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 10:02:29 pm by Greger »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: [WiP] Man rowing boat, dumping toxic waste into the ocean

Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 01:34:08 pm
Hello esteemed members of Pixelation, the finest pixel-art forum on the internet. I've been lurking around here for a while now and I figure now would be a good time to join to publish both my art and to help others with critique.

The backstory of this picture is the following ;
I'm planning on drawing a man, rowing his boat in the middle of the ocean. He has a barrel of toxic waste with him that he plans to dump, effectively killing each and every fish in the location nearby. He will then laugh like a maniac, saying fuck the ocean. So far I've done the following ;

The man rowing the boat, I plan on adding waves and ripples in the water around the boat (something I forgot to draw when I drew it) and smoothing out the boat pushing forward.

I've also drawn the barrel that the man is pushing out of the boat, no animaton on the man himself though ;

The splash has been reworked and coloured, which is the picture below:

All of this is pretty much new territory for me so I'm sort of stumbling around, and I'd love some critique on this. I will keep updating this thread with progress on it all :)
Thank you for taking your time!
I think it looks pretty cool what you've done so far. I'm not going to crit but just some ideas to add splash at bow of boat when he rows and make the boat tilt when the barrel goes in...

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 01:48:47 pm
I think it looks pretty cool what you've done so far. I'm not going to crit but just some ideas to add splash at bow of boat when he rows and make the boat tilt when the barrel goes in...

Added splashes now :

Next step on that particular frame is to make the boat seem as if it's submerged, it kinda looks like it's exactly on top of the sea now.
Boat tilting when the barrels goes in is a great idea, thanks!

Edit : I messed up placing all the frames so that they would line up perfectly though, so it looks kinda jumpy right now.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 01:50:46 pm by Greger »

Offline Gamer36

• Just a noob.
    • View Profile
    • Gamer36 Wordpress

Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 01:52:10 pm
Also maybe remove the red lines that you're seemingly using to show where the things go when you post it?
Pixel Art, what (mostly) all of us are here for.

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 02:04:29 pm
Also maybe remove the red lines that you're seemingly using to show where the things go when you post it?

Will do in future pictures :)

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Re: [Finished] Man rowing boat

Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:03:15 pm
Ok I scrapped my idea, I can't get it working the way I want it to work and it would be sub-par.
So here's the piece, finished!

Edit ; Added waves when the boat stops.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 03:57:48 pm by Greger »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 11:29:08 pm
Ok I scrapped my idea, I can't get it working the way I want it to work and it would be sub-par.
So here's the piece, finished!

Edit ; Added waves when the boat stops.

Finished? Sure the animation is almost there, but visually it could definitely be improved. For instance note the amount of banding, outlining, and pretty bland lighting in the image.

uh

I'm too lazy to make an edit right now and I have no clue on how to splice frames together to make an animation, but perhaps I'll edit a frame or two though to give you an idea of what I mean.

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 04:12:20 pm
Finished? Sure the animation is almost there, but visually it could definitely be improved. For instance note the amount of banding, outlining, and pretty bland lighting in the image.

uh

I'm too lazy to make an edit right now and I have no clue on how to splice frames together to make an animation, but perhaps I'll edit a frame or two though to give you an idea of what I mean.

Yeah visually it could definiatly be improved, not sure on how to do that though. I've tried to animate the water so that it looks more lifelike but I just can't get it to look right. I'm calling it finished because I'm not sure what to do with it in regards of background and all that stuff.

Here's the frames for you ;