AuthorTopic: NIKOLA TESLA, MAN OF SCIENCE  (Read 14616 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: NIKOLA TESLA, MAN OF SCIENCE

Reply #20 on: April 21, 2006, 09:34:27 am
First of all I want to say thank you to everyone that gave me serious crits, but more thank that saying, the fact that I'm going to deviate from my original construction for the art (which means I was defeated by argumentation!) says more about the quality of the critique recieved here than words do. I understand that there's not a lot of technical critique to give me most of the time, so this thread is mostly style and intention critique and I'm find with that. I agree with some, begrudgingly accept others, and disagree with others, as is usually the case and this is good.

Now that i look at it again, the surrounding grey shades of the reds in the collar and in the cheek skin do make these reds appear of different values.

This is the desired effect.

I would rally for moar colour though. I mean, you've got plenty color, but bring out the individual colors just to the point the palette doesn't collapse from it. It'd make the desat. colors slightly more interesting than in its current slightly-more-interesting-than-gray state.

As with the other color crit, I'll try marginally more saturation but don't forget the pure dark fullsat red is covering this end more... maybe I can make it work. It's true that most of the hueshift tricks work because colours don't have a lot of saturation, but it's a bigger challenge to liven it up and still shift it like a madman, so that's something to try.

Please note that, if i thought you needed gushing praise this piece earns it in full amount, but my understanding is that you value critique more than anything, and im sure a piece as good as this will earn more than enough praise to float any man's ego.  so with that being said, here's my critique.

No, I'll enjoy the praise when this is done. What I need is critique like what you gave me, so thank you.

perhaps you could explain why you chose the hues you did?

Sure it's not a big theory. Representing every part of the colorwheel. This all comes back to when I did a CG portrait based on photo reference and realized that there's BLUES and GREENS and YELLOWS on a simple ambient-lit face, due to a lot of complicated color effects. Looking at Cyclone art and the like I've decided to try to represent lots of subtle or harsh hue shifts in small spaces, with a lowpoly-to-dithering approach I first developed on 'masters of nebular frost' and I've done a few pieces using the same theory as this which you might have seen. This isn't any more or less random than the rest of my hueshifted stuff. This may be quite more in the eye of the beholder than it has to do with me. Consider if this was the first hue-shift piece you saw by me, and tell me if you'd still consider the color selection inferior to the rest.

Due to a lot of critique concerning the eyes, I've decided to give him whites for the eyes and generally make that part much more intense and vivid. I was trying to get away with the simple approach because doing eyes is difficult! I guess no such shortcuts.

Ptoing: breaking up the line is not a good idea for lightning effects. They're not tree-brances.

Almost done. Time for the extra nitpicky wave of critique before this is finalized.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 10:27:09 am by Helm »

Offline Mr.Modem

• My avatar is more outdated than yours...
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: April 21, 2006, 12:20:57 pm
Awesome as always Helm! This piece has Bitmap Brothers written all over it. I love the sharp highlights and the dithering. When I see this I can almost imagine Tesla running around in The Chaos Engine. Most of the problems have already been pointed out already so I'm not going to give much critique. Crazy Asian Gamer made a good point about the colours though. This piece would look so much better if you make the colours more saturated. I mean look at Cyclone (I think everyone have already seen this picture but...) http://www.gfxzone.org/personal/cyclone/01/cyclone-ahne_pappa.html. He hueshifts and dithers like hell with saturated colours and still gets away with it. I say turn up the saturation and put in some extra colours to act like buffer shades.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 09:17:18 am by Mr.Modem »
Nobody is perfect. I'm nobody.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: April 21, 2006, 02:52:42 pm
beautiful.  those rusty and sandy colors you have now give him so much more life.  the extra care show to the form also helps a bit.  would love if he could be looking at us, but this is still gorgeous.  especially digging the pink in the lightning, though i wonder if the lightning is too segmented in its hues? (there are very clear orange sections and pink sections, but perhaps this is intended)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: April 22, 2006, 08:30:21 am
Good call, lightening the eyes. I've noticed that eyes have to be the most reflective object in the whole dang world. If someone's standing in pitch-blackness, and there's just a hint of light anywhere in the room, the first place you'll see it is in their eyes. Second, possibly the contours of the face start to stand out. It's actually kinda freaky to observe someone's eyes in different environments, because there always seems to be a really bright highlight in at least one or two spots...

Anyway, about saturation... I did my trademark Photoshop experiment on this, and can't say I agree. Saturation doesn't make this specific piece more interesting to look at. The lightning got a nice flare to it, but stole attention from the face, even at +60 saturation. The only thing happening to the face was that the dithering stopped working and looked gritty. The whole thing would have to be completely remade for a color shift to work out, I think. Besides... it's Helm, this. He knows what he's doing.

One last, interesting thing I just realized... The red shading against the pale grey skin makes me think of Soviet...

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: April 22, 2006, 09:12:57 am
Mr. Modem, its interesting that you associate hue shifts with the bitmap brothers, since i dont really remember them doing much more than smple bichromatic colorings, and much of it was all the same hue.  They did use 2 different colors to shade some things, but as hue shifts go, speaking as a painter and a pixel novice, thats still astoundingly simple.  perhaps i am wrong? (set me up with the links if i am, i wanna see :P)

this is the kinda stuff i associate with the bitmap brothers
http://amigos.amiga.hu/ancientoys/screenshots/chaosengine1.jpg
and thats not really hue shifts at all, its simple 2-color blending
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Mr.Modem

• My avatar is more outdated than yours...
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: April 22, 2006, 09:22:39 am
No bitmap brothers didn't use hueshifts, you're right about that.When I talked about the Bitmap Brothers style I meant the sharp highlights, the dithering and some other shading stuff that's hard to describe. I guess it's Helm's style :P

EDIT: BTW I edited my last post so there is no more confusion.
Nobody is perfect. I'm nobody.

Offline Nix

• when life throws you pixels.. make pixelade
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: April 22, 2006, 10:12:28 am
i dont like his right eye (our left) but i cant see why :( sorry for not being able to help much . heh
Nixel Art

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #27 on: April 23, 2006, 02:25:37 am

done, I guess
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 02:35:48 am by Helm »

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #28 on: April 23, 2006, 05:20:09 am
Very beautiful helm. As always your level of detail and coloring is amazing! I could be wrong, however, wouldn't that level of lighting (the electricity~lighting bolt) cause larger areas of the face to be white? Even still I guess it doesn't really matter. *saves and puts into helm folder*

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #29 on: April 23, 2006, 06:41:02 pm
It could be far back or just a design element.