AuthorTopic: NIKOLA TESLA, MAN OF SCIENCE  (Read 14621 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

NIKOLA TESLA, MAN OF SCIENCE

on: April 20, 2006, 07:42:41 pm

woo look at helm work on his wip and try to make sense of his strange color choice!

Early wip, critique welcome

oh my, almost forgot! reference used http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/electrical/tesla/pictures/misc/tesla1.gif although just eyeballing. Likeness is secondary in this piece. EXPRESSING THE AWESOMITY OF TESLA SCIENCE is the primary goal.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 07:49:20 pm by Helm »

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Re: NIKOLA TESLA, MAN OF SCIENCE

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 08:00:38 pm
hehe cool. Very brave choice of palette. Dunno if I'd be able to handle it myself, but then, that's why you're Helm and I'm not. :D

A bit hard to crit at such as is, but what's been AA'd on the lightning's looking nice, as is the face itself. I'm digging the the forehead's shading, too.

That floating red pixel near the top is the highlight for me. ;)

Oh yeah, good semblance too! (but the real Tesla had fancy-boy hair)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 08:10:17 pm

starting to take more shape

Offline Esker

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 08:16:03 pm
Looking good but I'm not sure about that ear.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 08:17:29 pm
I've always thought it's impossible not to love Tesla.

I've always thought it's also impossible not to love Helm.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 08:49:56 pm

enough for today, will finish this tomorrow.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 09:02:56 pm
If it were up to Tesla, we'd have flying cars by now, and maybe less plane crashes. (i read he developed a way to transmit electricity through air over long distances, which is not being used today, i'm not really sure why).

Pretty awesome, the face and colors are nice.
I suggest not using the red on the right eye, makes that area look plain, i'd go with one of the darkest hair shades on that. Also, you shouldn't use the same red tone to shade his skin on the right that you used on the collar, since the collar is black and his skin is white: maybe add another shade or use that brighter red that you're using on the highlights.

If you change your mind and want to get closer to the original, make his face rounder by making the left cheek bones more pronounced, and the profile less straight (adding a curve, moving more to the left), make his nose bigger (also, moving it to the left) and make the eyes bigger too. Shouldn't be too much of a change from what you have, not too hard i think. Also, i think the left eye (our left) may be a bit too high up, but it's too soon to say from what you have.

Oh, and that sweet sweet shading on the (bottom) lighting bolt, i like that :). Please, do use it on the other bolts.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 09:15:36 pm
hi hjelm
tesla is nearly as ossom as chuck norris.  the lightning reminds me of that other big piece you were working on that you also gave up on.  very cool.  chin has more thrown light, try doing that to the cheek and it will add volume to an otherwise fairly flat plane.  maybe the hair could have some highlights or light semi-occluded through the strands.  any way of drawing the coolness of his oscillator work? a vibrator by tesla could give the earth an orgasm.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 09:50:00 pm
Turbo: great critique, I will follow much of your advice tomorrow. The "since the collar is black and his skin is white" bit makes no sense from where I'm standing, though, and therefore I'll leave the red be. My whole approach rests on multiuse of colors in improbable places. I won't try to achieve likeness, I've gotten a pretty sharp edgy head that reminds me of Hitleric propaganda imagery which I find fitting for this sort of thing, and adapting until Tesla's slavic countentance is captured doesn't interest me much. This is 'Telsa the uberman' not 'Tesla the neurotic genius who when once kissed recoiled in horror and never touched a woman to his death'. I'll do all the tesla coil tendrils with as much care as the lower one, yes.

glief: nice use of 'also'. I'll attempt more light on cheek and see if it works, good idea. I intended to do hair highlights. Not sure about his oscillator work and how it can be incooporated into this design, any links or ideas? I like orgasms.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 10:15:04 pm
try this, hjelm. http://www.intuitor.com/resonance/

tesla was the actual inventor of radio
also invented first radio controlled robots

I must say, this jumped out at me:

Tesla attached a small vibrator to an iron column in his laboratory
The police fingered Tesla because they had frequently responded to complaints about his unusual activities
harsh, though sexual, treatment by police...

no ideas how you could incorporate it. make him blurred and add comic-book jiggle lines to his head?