AuthorTopic: Hey I need Some Help. Pronto!  (Read 4715 times)

Offline Mistajaye

• Jason Andrew Buividas
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • https://t.me/pump_upp
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • View Profile
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !

Hey I need Some Help. Pronto!

on: February 20, 2011, 10:41:57 am
Hello everyone. My name is Jason, you can call me JAB which is my initials. HEHE. Um I would really like some help on Color Ideas for these characters? I mean, Did I do a good job or what? Please Be mean to me, VERY MEAN hehe, and Tell me what I did wrong if anything... Also I would love to see your suggestions and revamps of the sprite. Then Maybe I can get an idea of what to do and where to go from there. ^_^

Here they are.

Bit Fat Rat, and A Shinobi  Hehe... Tell me what you think... Please be MEAN to me and tell me how you think I should color them or if they look funky how I can redesign they're proportions. ^_^

Thanks everyone! ^_^

~JAB

Offline Gamer36

• Just a noob.
    • View Profile
    • Gamer36 Wordpress

Re: Hey I need Some Help. Pronto!

Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 04:32:19 pm
First of all, swords are SHINY, unless you leave it in water for 10 years. So, that being said, if those things ARE swords, they need to be shiny. Second, Shinobi either has ONE ponytail, or, you forgot to draw the other one. Last but not least, your palette, the reds and blues in Shinobi, and the grays and browns in the Rat, need to be minimized, and corrected, you have quite a lot of colors that you DIDN'T put in your palette. I'm gving you an example but you don't need to use this exact palette.

Palette   Image with palette applied
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:12:23 pm by Gamer36 »
Pixel Art, what (mostly) all of us are here for.

Offline Im King Louie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 05:23:56 pm
I think the palette's fine.  But your using a lot of pillow shading.

Here I did a quick edit.  It's not a great edit.  It's just to show you what you did wrong.  I changed the highlights and shadows to contour to the shape of the character.
I can't really put it in words so well.  But look at his pants and hair as an example of what I'm talking about.

Also, your palette was a bit messy.  I know you tried to only use the colors above his head, but you actually used 32 colors, some of them appearing only once.

Try to work on yours again.  I didn't work very hard on the edit because I have to go somewhere soon.  So I know you could do better than me if you tried harder.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 06:59:47 pm
Tag team add on!

Changed color palette a bit. I'm not quite sure about the origin of the light source soo.....
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 07:18:30 pm by yaomon17 »

Offline Mistajaye

• Jason Andrew Buividas
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • https://t.me/pump_upp
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • View Profile
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !

Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 04:14:31 pm
DANNNNNNG! me love what you guys did. Thanks for the help!

I love the leg pant detail on the top one, and the Color shades are interesting on the bottom one. I Like how you used less color hues and revamped the lighting ^_^. Lemme work on it some more and show you all the Newestest version. lol ^_^

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 05:32:24 pm
Tag team add on!

Changed color palette a bit. I'm not quite sure about the origin of the light source soo.....

Uh, uh... Right!

Really I thought a club would be more fitting, as the rat seemed fairly more primitive and untamed, and menacing. Like a villain or a common enemy. Come to think of it I'd like to see these two in a game somehow. :lol:

As for crits, I probably won't go into detail but one thing I've seen a lot is abundance of pillow-shading. Pick out a lightsource first. Another thing I have a bit of a problem with is a lot of pure-black outlining. I had to put a bit of sel-out here and there to make it seem less overdone. And I added a bit of color and some hue-shifting as I thought the original dark greys looked a bit too bland.

EDIT: Fixed the length of the feet, added a tail.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 05:51:31 pm by pistachio »

Offline Im King Louie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 08:04:05 pm

Note that my edit has a lot of banding issues.  Banding is something that I'm still trying to overcome.  The most striking example of banding in my edit is in Shinobi's right leg.  The light blue highlight hugs the black outline too closely.  It could be fixed by breaking up the light blue line closer to the bottom.

EDIT:  Here, I did another edit now that I have more time.  I tried to eliminate the banding and changed such a sharp black to a color much easier on the eyes.  I also moved his right arm forearm down a few pixels as I thought it was too long before.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:33:21 pm by Im King Louie »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 08:34:56 am
Tag team add on!

Very good edit. The way you used shadow to convey the volume is so much effective! it makes things appear round with little colours where I'd have used tons of intermediate shades. I'll bookmark and meditate.