AuthorTopic: Groovy!  (Read 6128 times)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Groovy!

on: April 20, 2006, 05:43:20 pm
Started with a random sketch which, for some reason, reminded me of Earthworm Jim, who I was then destined to pixel. :P

I'm actually pretty happy with this (mainly 'cause of the palette), and despite my recent habits, will actually  be working on this in the future. On that note, thanks and apologies to anyone who's posted crits in my last threads to no avail. I only really pixel for fun at this point, so if I get bored of a piece... y'know.  :-\

Older versions:
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/EWJ.PNG
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/EWJwip.PNG
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/EWJ2.PNG
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/EWJ3.PNG
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/EWJ4.PNG

Current Version:

Process:
I have a step-by-step animation (it was up briefly), but the gif animator I have ruins the palette. Anyone know of a good (read: free) one that won't do that?

« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 08:06:17 pm by Tremulant »

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Re: Groovy!

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 05:56:57 pm
The way you colored him, owns. I don't understand why his hands are a different color than his head though. And the shading on his head-thing (wannabe hairstyle?), is that intentionally differing from the rest of the coloring?

Nice pose and shapes. And the palette is weird.
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline neverest

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 06:09:04 pm
I really love this, one of my favourites I've seen in a while. The colours are particularly lovely, and I really like the chunky outlines. It all seems pretty purposeful to me, looks like hes wearing gloves, and the shading on the head is the same as the gun, I guess 'cos its shiner than his suit.
Id like so see him in a little scene.
The only one crit I can think of is perhaps his left wrist could pull in a little tighter, a bit more like the original lines.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 07:02:34 pm
EWJ!
That roxxorz.
My only crit would be that his hand (the one not holding the gun) looks a bit odd in comparison to the rest of the body. Those fingers are, like, the only thin parts to him.
Is that supposed to be the bungee snot thing on his back?

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 07:06:53 pm
Minor Update (first post).

Tried to tighten the wrist, as well as touch up some stuff that was bugging me.

Thanks for the crits guys. I'll see what I can't do 'bout the fingers, Xion. Yup, that's snot :D I should probably give him his eyes, too...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 07:25:40 pm by Tremulant »

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 08:06:53 pm
Good piece  :o no crits, good aa, live colors... is a good work  ;)

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 09:16:18 pm
WHOAAA NELLY!! ;)

I specially love the colors, but everything here looks good! 5* man.
I just find a bit unusual that you used the same shading on his white suit that you used for the pink/orange head. The original was more blueish for the suit shading, here it almost looks like he's wearing a skin suit. But i could as well just imagine he's in Hell :)

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 09:19:18 pm
Dude, that is sweet, pretty much everything about it is awesome. That look he has is hilarious too. I particularly like that energy blast, great stuff.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 03:30:54 am
Updated (first post).

I tried to fix the fingers up, gave snot his eyes, and generally reworked/tweaked the image. Thanks for the help, guys. More crits always wanted :)

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 12:18:11 pm
I wonder why snot/mucousy-thingies/slimes seems to naturally grow eyes o_0. Everywhere I go they have eyes. Soon they will be nothing but eyes, which would be a good thing ya know since they would have omnidirectional vision.

Yeah...anyways the snot is neat, the eyes convey a very worried look. Also the suit could use some variance in colors, its just orange and green right now. Maybe blue, white, or purple could help add more color in. Just some food for thought.