AuthorTopic: Orc for isometric rpg game  (Read 6088 times)

Offline Gidralisk

• View Profile

Orc for isometric rpg game

on: February 18, 2011, 08:29:19 pm
Hey everyone. I am looking for some constructive criticism  :)

Thanks)

Offline Gamer36

• Just a noob.
    • View Profile
    • Gamer36 Wordpress

Re: Orc for isometric rpg game

Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 09:03:43 pm
Did the dirty deed of anti-alising it, I think I'm finally getting better at it. I don't have much critique other than... MAKE MOAR! It was great, the only thing I would suggest is minimize your palette, and I'm only saying that because for some reason ppl here think you shouldn't "waste colors".
Pixel Art, what (mostly) all of us are here for.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 09:28:37 pm
First of, welcome to Pixelation :)

Second, Gamer36, your post is neither helpful nor informative in any way. Sprites usually are not antialiased on the outside like that because that would look horrible once they are presented against a background.

And the reason to not "waste colours" is that it is not beneficial for the editing process to add colours people can not discern anyway.
Lesser colours = lesser things to worry about. If you want to use your colours effectively the more you have the longer you will work on your picture.

I made a small colour edit and brought your orc down from 66 to 16 colours.

Left is mine, can you tell the difference at a glance?

I guess you used something like photoshop to make this sprite and used not quite opaque brushes. There were loads of colours which were only used once or twice and a lot of very close ones too.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Stickman

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 09:56:08 pm
I really cant stress enough how correct ptoing is. You really dont want to be animating something that small with 66 colours!

Offline Gidralisk

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 08:41:36 pm
Gamer36, ptoing Big-many thanks. I Have received the excellent help.  :y:

Offline Gamer36

• Just a noob.
    • View Profile
    • Gamer36 Wordpress

Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 09:14:36 pm
First of, welcome to Pixelation :)

Second, Gamer36, your post is neither helpful nor informative in any way. Sprites usually are not antialiased on the outside like that because that would look horrible once they are presented against a background.

And the reason to not "waste colours" is that it is not beneficial for the editing process to add colours people can not discern anyway.
Lesser colours = lesser things to worry about. If you want to use your colours effectively the more you have the longer you will work on your picture.

I made a small colour edit and brought your orc down from 66 to 16 colours.

Left is mine, can you tell the difference at a glance?

I guess you used something like photoshop to make this sprite and used not quite opaque brushes. There were loads of colours which were only used once or twice and a lot of very close ones too.
Ok, ptoing, I know you put me down a lot, as you did this time, the anti-alising was incase Gidralisk just wanted to showcase it. Also, he gives me "Big-many" thanks so seemingly my post was useful to SOMEONE. And BTW, the back of it looks GREAT, might benefit from having a full 360 rotation?
Pixel Art, what (mostly) all of us are here for.

Offline Gidralisk

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 08:15:17 pm
 :) thanks

animation

Offline Âme

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 08:44:31 pm
I liked it alot when it had yellow tinted highlights. Also the head should move up and down alittle in the animation. The arms and legs move but the toreso and head should move some. The hips too. the big muscles on the chest ( forget what there called ) are starting to look kindof like hes got boobs :lol:, and he could benifit from some abs too. Otherwise hes really cool!

Offline Im King Louie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 11:50:07 pm
Yeah, move his pecks down a pixel or two and give him a light highlight just above them for the collar bones so it looks like he has a neck.  Maybe make his belly button move side to side a bit so his hips don't look so stiff.

Offline Gidralisk

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 08:37:28 pm
Âme , Im King Louie Thanks  :)

update