AuthorTopic: AM2R Metroid Sprites  (Read 16242 times)

Offline Ramagno

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

AM2R Metroid Sprites

on: February 17, 2011, 11:15:30 pm
hey everyone. i dont know if you know the am2r project. im the spriter behind it and i would appreciate all of your wonderful c&c
these are the metroid sprites already made public so far

some references to have in mind

the visual style should match the one on metroid zero mission.
i'm open to any c&c and im loving them :)

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 01:57:02 pm by Ramagno »

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Re: AM2R Metroid Sprites

Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:47:45 am
I've been following the project for years, so this is perfect for me. The biggest issue I can see is that the bodies of the Zeta and Omega are a bit hard to read, which could probably be improved with some more contrast. I mean, most of the Omega's body only has three colors, and the lightest is barely a midtone. Their legs are also pretty small compared to the rest of them.

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 03:13:50 pm
Quick question but why are you using a differant pallet for all the sprites if they're supposed to be progression of the same critter? Each one uses greens but they're all differant greens. Ditto to the purple and brown. Consolidating your colours may help.

EDIT: Also you don't need to post inflated versions since the forum has a zoom function.  :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 03:15:46 pm by heyy13 »

Offline Ramagno

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 01:29:06 am
I'll try to give some more dettail to their bodies, but i think it's not really the most important part from their bodies to make too much emphasis. About the pallets, they are from the same "family", but different monsters so I prefer making differences (you can see how the first one has more saturation than the last one)
:]

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 03:06:47 am
Neat. I like the floating one and the textures on the large one most. What is the am2r project?

Offline Ramagno

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 01:56:40 pm
It's a remake of the original Metroid 2 for gameboy.
http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 12:43:39 am

So first off let me explain, my pixels are rather rusty and i could probably spend hours playing around with these... so the end result isnt really amazing, but hopefully gets some points across.

the larvae stage is a tad bit confusing to look at. also the original looks like it has some sort of claws clutching its floating metroid like underbelly. the shell is really dark, and i think theres too much highlight illustrated on the shell peaks which makes it look like it has this white laced outline. moved the highlight of the underbelly to the front, because i think that helps illustrate where you need to shoot at it a bit better but maybe im wrong. the rest was just a bit of clean up really - which could probably use a bit more.

The enlarged larvae - horned stage i just played with the lighting a bit differently. it seems like from here on out your sprites get really dark. details get hard to read. so i pulled out the front legs a bit with some light, and gave the shell a similar treatment to its previous stage. even when zoomed in on this sprite, its really hard to figure out what exactly is happening on the underbelly and jaw/mandible area of this sprite. it could greatly benefit the sprites overall readability to sort some of those 'unknown' details out a bit more.

State 3 just gets really dark. and while that makes the underbelly particularly readable, its kindof a shame because theres lots of interesting stuff there that could benefit from some lighting. I didnt want to make it too bright, so just hinted at some examples. also had to add a bit more of a tail as it looks poorly balanced with just a nub there. One thing i didnt understand here is where the blue comes in around the mouth? i kept it in but im not sure it really adds anything to the sprite. theres a lot of isolated color groups here. red only used in the eyes, green only used in the belly. one highlight on the foots claw. If you were to give its entire undercarriage some green secondary lighting from the bioluminescent-like underbelly, it could add some extra visual interest while illustrating more visual detail. I made a side point here about proportion of these t-rex like limbs. the upper humorous area of the arm should probably be the longest segment of the arm, not the middle segment. the latter just makes the anatomy look strange

The final transformation design wise looks quite interesting particularly in the head. it seems very castlevania SOTN to me however in design and shading. again giving it a bit more lighting, cleaning up the details and adding some lighting to the underbelly could go a long way here in my opinion. Whats goin on with the leg segments? they look bizarrely long , particularly with the back leg, makes it look unstable to me. I didnt do any edits on this final stage. i have to do some other work, and im sure you could do a better job anyway by taking some time to address some detail tweaks.

On a side note, ive heard of your project before and have seen videos of it - thought it was quite a neat looking. what is its current state of progress at this point?

Offline Ramagno

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 02:06:55 pm
So first off let me explain, my pixels are rather rusty and i could probably spend hours playing around with these... so the end result isnt really amazing, but hopefully gets some points across.

the larvae stage is a tad bit confusing to look at. also the original looks like it has some sort of claws clutching its floating metroid like underbelly. the shell is really dark, and i think theres too much highlight illustrated on the shell peaks which makes it look like it has this white laced outline. moved the highlight of the underbelly to the front, because i think that helps illustrate where you need to shoot at it a bit better but maybe im wrong. the rest was just a bit of clean up really - which could probably use a bit more.

The enlarged larvae - horned stage i just played with the lighting a bit differently. it seems like from here on out your sprites get really dark. details get hard to read. so i pulled out the front legs a bit with some light, and gave the shell a similar treatment to its previous stage. even when zoomed in on this sprite, its really hard to figure out what exactly is happening on the underbelly and jaw/mandible area of this sprite. it could greatly benefit the sprites overall readability to sort some of those 'unknown' details out a bit more.

State 3 just gets really dark. and while that makes the underbelly particularly readable, its kindof a shame because theres lots of interesting stuff there that could benefit from some lighting. I didnt want to make it too bright, so just hinted at some examples. also had to add a bit more of a tail as it looks poorly balanced with just a nub there. One thing i didnt understand here is where the blue comes in around the mouth? i kept it in but im not sure it really adds anything to the sprite. theres a lot of isolated color groups here. red only used in the eyes, green only used in the belly. one highlight on the foots claw. If you were to give its entire undercarriage some green secondary lighting from the bioluminescent-like underbelly, it could add some extra visual interest while illustrating more visual detail. I made a side point here about proportion of these t-rex like limbs. the upper humorous area of the arm should probably be the longest segment of the arm, not the middle segment. the latter just makes the anatomy look strange

The final transformation design wise looks quite interesting particularly in the head. it seems very castlevania SOTN to me however in design and shading. again giving it a bit more lighting, cleaning up the details and adding some lighting to the underbelly could go a long way here in my opinion. Whats goin on with the leg segments? they look bizarrely long , particularly with the back leg, makes it look unstable to me. I didnt do any edits on this final stage. i have to do some other work, and im sure you could do a better job anyway by taking some time to address some detail tweaks.

On a side note, ive heard of your project before and have seen videos of it - thought it was quite a neat looking. what is its current state of progress at this point?

Noted. I'll be working on that soon.
The project is still in development.
I'm currently working on the queen metroid, and its taking quiet a lot of time, it's been some months since I first started it. We -Doctor M and me- are really busy with our personal life, so we don't have full time availability for the project, but we keep working on it anytime we can.
He told me he has been cleaning a lot of code and having some trouble with animations.
I don't think there's too much work remaining to finally complet the project, and thats definitely great news :)
Thanks for the c&c ^_^

Offline Ramagno

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 02:46:25 pm

I started with this one, it's the smaller one for me.
I want to post here some of the enemies sprites as well.
:]
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:51:42 pm by Ramagno »

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 08:16:10 pm
Hey there, Ramagno. I've heard of AM2R, and I actually wanted to do some sprites for it, two years ago. I was pleasantly surprised to see you post here, and I'd be delighted to help you in any way!
You and stoven have done a great job, and it's awoken my love for Metroid.
Anyway! I wanted to post here because you said you were aiming for Zero Mission's style: I've been looking at some sprites and their palettes, and I did my version of one of the metroids. I don't know what your exact idea of the style is, but here's my try:

I hope it gives you some ideas, and I'd love to see more sprites and progress, good luck! :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:40:54 am by Chris2balls »
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!