AuthorTopic: Gameboy Palette  (Read 6394 times)

Offline devinode

• View Profile

Gameboy Palette

on: February 15, 2011, 11:28:41 pm
I'm kind of curious as to which one of these color palettes is the true one or if they are esentially the same because I enjoy the original gameboy graphics but the one just feels too green..

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 11:31:56 pm by devinode »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Gameboy Palette

Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 11:46:52 pm
There is no such thing as a TRUE gameboy palette. The gameboy palette is not handled with RGB values like we have on PCs and the gameboy also had a contrast wheel thing, so the colours could be lighter or darker on a real thing.

Any GB palette you will find online are approimations. I think the ones you have there are okish, but in the top one the gap between 2nd and 3rd colour is too big imo.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Gameboy Palette

Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 11:52:40 pm
It's my understanding that palettes derived from hardware like the Gameboy are simply emulated from knowledge of the hardware, so there may not be any "hard data" about the palette. The first one definitely feels way too green, but seems to be the general consensus(as far as my small search went).

Have you tried a gameboy emulator? They tend to have a "real color" mode that emulates the graphics with a palette similar to the original gameboy. I also came up with this on the search: