AuthorTopic: scenery. WIP.  (Read 4459 times)

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

scenery. WIP.

on: April 20, 2006, 02:35:03 am

I would particularly like advice on the grass :(.
C+C, and any advice would be superfantasticallygreatandallthatgoodshit.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Re: scenery. WIP.

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 04:36:55 am
Too much hue variation for a night scene.  Pull the ramps back towards blues and purples and you automagically get a night effect.  The only reason clouds are visible at night is because of moonlight, light them accordingly.  The grass detail is the last thing you should work on.  One of the skills of a good artist is to be able choose which elements need to be communicated.  Go outside on a moonlit night and list by order of importance what you notice.  The top few are what you need to get right to get the idea across well.  Good effort.

sonic_reaper

Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 02:16:58 am
There's a lot wrong here.  I would start with color selection.  Desaturate that mofo and add more contrast.  The colors are blending together like an awful Picasso painting ( ;D).  I can't really help with the colors beyond that, it depends on what mood you want to convey.  Lief gave some solid advice on creating atmosphere using colors (and making it more realistic in sense of lighting).  For the grass ... try to work outside in (from the cliff edges to the inside).  You want to make it pop out from the edges so that viewer knows that's where it border the dirt and that it is elevated.  Here's a start ... (I decided to change some more stuff around) --

Of course my grass is a bit too sparse and thick.  Depends on the type of grass you want.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 02:42:35 am
lief: I'll see what I can do.
sonic_reaper: you just kicked my ass.

I decided to loose the clouds for now, I swamped the beach and the water as well, I'll be reworking them. This is basically minor changes, and tweaks to the pallete in an attempt to make it look more night-ish. not sure if the purple rocks is good or bad. also gave more depth to the moon for some odd reason. Just wondering if I'm going forwards or backwards

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 02:48:12 am
lose clouds for now - forwards
moon changes - backwards
rework water - forwards
purple rocks - forwards
main grass shade - forwards
rest of grass (darks) - backwards

get the moon, water and the person right and you are 80% finished.  The other 20% you won't be able to do or even notice for another 2 years (and that fact will never change no matter how skilled you/we are) :)

Offline Razz

• AM I ENDING ALL MY QUESTIONS WITH PERIODS.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 02:50:09 am
Make the sky a really dark blue. Almost black, but not quite. And around the shinier or bigger stars, make a bit of a lighter dark blue (just a tad lighter than the sky) around them.  :)

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 03:02:47 am
updated. grass shades changed, superdark blue. moon-shine. longer shadow.

sonic_reaper

Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 03:18:02 am
Hm, I would elevate the horizon line just a tad.  Seems a bit lopsided at the moment.  Good work on the reflection on the water though.  The purple rocks are a bit too saturated (the next color, which looks like a skin/peach, is too saturated as well, more so than the purple).  I would actually recommend losing the dithering on the rocks -- but ... this kinda depends.  In the context of the piece I would say it doesn't work and you should go with smoother shading.  Hm, maybe change the perspective of the beach so that it curves to the end of the picture (like a quarter circle kind of line).

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 06:53:31 am
updated again;
I tried to meet the expectations of everyone, I kind of like the dithering on the rocks, I re-did the beach, I'm not sure exactly how to make it look like it's curving up, I'm not quite finished, I've still the grass to re-do, but apart from that I think it's looking good.