AuthorTopic: abominable snowman (wip)  (Read 4639 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

abominable snowman (wip)

on: April 20, 2006, 02:06:47 am
Well, my freelance job is over so I finally got some time to pixel something for myself.  I'm making this for a pixel tutorial over at another forum - documenting my progress along the way.  Still a major WIP, but if you can find anything wrong with it - that'd be great.

I know sometimes the lightsource is inconsistant, but thats just because it didn't look right the other way.  I also plan to add more fur texture in the next 'step'.  Any ideas on how to give him more character?  I'm also considering drawing a background for this dude.  I also need to finish his left hand and and feet.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 02:17:43 am by Indigo »

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Re: abominable snowman (wip)

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 03:19:23 am
He looks like he is about to play the piano. 

Maybe you should change his pose to a more hunched over, near quadraped stance.  Also, he looks too shiny.  Maybe attempt a fur texture...  I dunno.  Its hard for me to give crits to things that are outside my ability.

Woops:  I missed the part about the fur texture that is coming.  Sorry.
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

yosh64

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 03:50:49 am
hey

Looks pretty darn solid to me... but I'm no expert. Although the pose looks a tad odd to me (makes me think he thinks people can't see him, and he is trying to be a ghost, hehe), but I dunno. Anyhows I look forward to seeing how this turns out, and hopefully I can learn some things from this tutorial if I get to see it. :)

cya

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 04:02:18 am
Pretty sweet so far. Haven't seen anything from you for a while, but I always like your stuff.  :)
As for adding character, I'd say that, for an abomidadamnable snowguy, he looks pretty freakin' cold. I don't mean he looks heartless or anything - actually he looks pretty innocent - but he looks like he's trying to keep warm, all huddled up and compact like that. To really look abomininiamble, I'd say he needs to assert some of the surrounding pixels by spreading his arms a bit and maybe opening his hands in that classic monster style: palms toward the viewer, fingers clawed and whatnot.
...but that'd just be assuming that you want him to be the usual monster. I actually think he has quite a bit of character as is.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 04:10:59 am
should the belly be lit like that?  I don't think it looks like it would protrude enough.  Also, remember that shadows do not accumulate when overlapping (barring the influence of multiple lights, including reflected light).  This needs to be corrected where the left (his right) arm shadows the upper thigh, the overlap should not be darker.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 09:50:31 am
can't say I'm a fan of this piece really. Variable size outline? Hm... 5 colours and your way to lighting makes for almost pillow shading in places. Even if it's not strictly realistic, I suggest you accentuate volumes in less rounded ways. He looks like he's made of cylinders, which he might be, but that's not very interesting to look at, is it?

Also, crotch stretch marks on skin? Probably not the best idea ever unless you plan to put him in a pair of blue jeans, which might actually be fun and help the 'character' issue you're talking about.

Right now you might struggle a lot but you have 5 colours and there's only so much you can do with that. You can do the fur texture sure, but for accessories you'll have to eventually add more colors.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 12:29:28 pm
 Good start there Indigo. I see you've made some good color selections. The important thing to get here is small shading areas which require detail into them. You can resize it down 50% and fix up those stuff. It'll look like a balloon snowman when it lacks small shading areas.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 04:08:28 pm
Ok, im not so good at critique but i would like to say how this piece really caught my eye. I'm loving the colour and style of it, although he is looking quite comedic, but i'm sure that was intentional.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 09:08:02 pm
 Well, another comment I would like to say is it look like a painted concept art with interesting hue variations. Or high res sprites you can call them. Using smaller shading areas will make it look more pixel appearing. It looks well drawn and good color design.

sonic_reaper

Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 01:50:16 am
The upper body -- lower body ratio is strange.  His legs are very skinny and long.  Not fitting for a yeti/adominable snowman/what have you.  I disagree with Helm -- the colors are great.  I tend to preach "keep it simple" and this follows that trend rather well.  However, that's JMO.  I love the face.  Lots of character/personality.  I agree on the folds though ... weird.  Here's an edit that I feel corrects the anatomy issues;