AuthorTopic: Rocky/sand tile - Suggestion on improving shading and texture  (Read 3757 times)

Offline yuriks

• View Profile
This is my first try at at a tile for a friend's game. I'm not very happy with it and would like some suggestions on improving the shading and texture of the rocks. I'll make other tiles for the set but I want to get practice first. So, C&C.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 04:17:16 am by yuriks »

Offline devinode

• View Profile

Re: Rocky/sand tile - Suggestion on improving shading and texture

Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 03:55:07 am
This reminds me of the back of a rocky dragon. with a little recolor it could look completely different. haha.
I'd say, as far as sand goes, try for either a smooth wave, or a more fine and grainy look.

Offline yuriks

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 04:19:07 am
Forgot to mention in the first post. This is supposed to be some cliff/rock looking tile. It'll transition to sand for the middle of the platforms, so this tile isn't supposed to really look like sand, sorry about that.  :-X

Offline devinode

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 04:33:12 am
Ohhh, haha. Well.. Idk usually cliffsides arent as jagged unless maybe they're climbable.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 05:20:31 am
Man, dumb that detail down. Simply simply simplify. Rid the dither noise. The color yellow doesn't say "rock" to me. Even the texture doesn't say rock. This does not rock. Create some telltale rock formations. Mind your lightsource. Let's see a little shadow casting, not just arbitrary highlights peppered throughout.

Always hard to judge game tiles outa context of their intended game's environment. . .

Don't posted scaled versions. Here, in this site, you just click images to enlarge by 100% increments. CTRL+click to reduce.