AuthorTopic: Creating tilesets for beat em up.  (Read 19230 times)

Offline Stickman

• View Profile

Re: Creating tilesets for beat em up.

Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 11:11:32 am
That looks great to me. However reconsider the way you're doing shadows below the feet of the spites, it looks like they've chained their feet together instead. I'd rather no shadow at all to this.

The cracks give it a cool style. This is great progress I think.

At first, I just had a black shadow but I found it a bit too strong and swapping it with another colour wouldn't work to well as I may have different coloured grounds for them to fight on and the colurs might clash. Also, with a thicker shadow - when the srites come into contact with each other, I dont want the shadow of one sprite interfering or covering another too much, but this wont look so bad with the dither shadow.

Without a shadow it just looks really floaty.

I understand about the chain look, but when they start moving it should be fine.

Edit: Some new ideas for for ground damage for the next screen:

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 01:14:58 pm by Stickman »

Offline Stickman

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 10:47:44 pm
I've been trying to optimize the background tiles and have had to cut down on the shutter texture, road and pavement (if there's space left I'll add them back in). It's around 84 tiles(8x16) for this screen and takes up around 1/3 of a 160x200 sheet:

Next screen will have a sign, lampost, door(re-usable) and a non re-usable poster. These should probably take 2 rows of tile space. I've never done tiling before and I only have one sheet to play with for backgrounds and I'm not to sure how well optimized these are.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 06:53:47 pm
In your creation document, you are at least drawing with a visible grid overlay, right? This'll keep you tile oriented while drawing and take less time when it comes to converting a flat image to feasible tiles. Just a thought. Sure you're already doing it.

Things are looking great. Getting better with each update. Keep at it.

Offline Stickman

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 10:25:11 pm
In your creation document, you are at least drawing with a visible grid overlay, right? This'll keep you tile oriented while drawing and take less time when it comes to converting a flat image to feasible tiles. Just a thought. Sure you're already doing it.

Things are looking great. Getting better with each update. Keep at it.

Yes. I am using a grid overlay with the squares(rectangles) at 8X16.

Sketched out the rest of the level which is another 7 screens and I also put back some of the damage tiles. I think it's going to get a bit easier for the next screen but it will always be that crazy fight between RAM space and CPU power!

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 11:06:16 pm
About the tile space, the screen you showed was 80x200, not 160x200. You would have 2x more space available than you think.
However, you should make sure if you have that much space for *each* level, or if it's common scenery for the whole game.
In the former case there will be disk loading on level change, in the latter case you'd better re-use some tiles from former levels.

Do you have the necessary tools for good tile work ? I made my own "map to tiles+map" converter, but even a standard tool like the Mappy tile map editor can read a map image and count the unique tiles. It's handy if you have a modification to perform on one tile and want to propagate everywhere the tile was used.

Offline Stickman

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: February 19, 2011, 10:59:09 am
About the tile space, the screen you showed was 80x200, not 160x200. You would have 2x more space available than you think.
However, you should make sure if you have that much space for *each* level, or if it's common scenery for the whole game.
In the former case there will be disk loading on level change, in the latter case you'd better re-use some tiles from former levels.

Do you have the necessary tools for good tile work ? I made my own "map to tiles+map" converter, but even a standard tool like the Mappy tile map editor can read a map image and count the unique tiles. It's handy if you have a modification to perform on one tile and want to propagate everywhere the tile was used.

The last picture I posted has an area of 160x200. What do you mean by the screen showing 80x200? I'm sure that picture is not that thin or is there something that I have may have missed? Each tile is 8x16.
I will download mappy tools. At the moment the bricks, pavement and road are as is and will never change on this level. I'm trying to do 20 unique tiles for each new screen which may be new type of door, window, drain pipe, fence dustbin etc: This will fill up the 160x200 sheet.

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 06:27:39 pm
I think you missed one point: in CPC "mode 0", pixels are wider, the resolution drops from 320x200 to 160x200 while still occupying the same surface. When the programmer gave you 160x200 to work with, he intended the native pixels - so for example the 8x16 tiles are squares, visually.
If your painting program doesn't allow you to paint in native wide pixels, you double the widths - but it's up to you to remember that you need to double them everywhere : 160*2x200 canvas,  8*2x16 grid, etc.

Offline Stickman

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 08:36:46 pm
I think you missed one point: in CPC "mode 0", pixels are wider, the resolution drops from 320x200 to 160x200 while still occupying the same surface. When the programmer gave you 160x200 to work with, he intended the native pixels - so for example the 8x16 tiles are squares, visually.
If your painting program doesn't allow you to paint in native wide pixels, you double the widths - but it's up to you to remember that you need to double them everywhere : 160*2x200 canvas,  8*2x16 grid, etc.

I already know that mode 0 (16 colours)and mode 1(4 colours) are both wide pixels. Mode 0 160x200 pixels(wide pixels) which is 16kb (as with mode 1 which is 320x200 wide pixels which is also 16kb). So I'm not to sure why you think my sheet is 80x200?

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It is 80x200 (wide)pixels.

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Stickman

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 08:56:30 pm
It is 80x200 (wide)pixels.

???Okay - now that is just weird. I'm working on this as we speak and it's not single pixels so maybe there maybe something wrong with how things are being displayed. The last post of the tile set displays as 160x200 on my screen and I haven't been working in single pixels EVER!!!

Anyway rest assured - everything is in wide pixels as I've been working with CPC pixels far too long to make an error like that  :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:58:06 pm by Stickman »