AuthorTopic: Creating tilesets for beat em up.  (Read 19428 times)

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Re: Creating tilesets for beat em up.

Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 11:34:44 pm
I don't normally post here but a friend linked me saying 'hey someones doing some cpc stuff' and I knew it would be stickman.  

Anyways I like the sprites a lot and the re-using legs is a pretty neat idea to save memory.  I didn't even notice they were using the same leg sprite until it was pointed out as I was more focused on the top half of the sprite which is always the part with most character.

The tiles though just don't work for me at all due to those colors chosen.  It's a pretty putrid scheme for the walls mainly due to the dark yellow and it all looks washed out and bland.  The main reason I love the CPC so much is for vivid colors with a lot of boldness and depth.  I'd probably use the dark brown and orange with a bit of red and yellow in the brick tiles to various degrees or if I was trying to go for a atmospheric night level, the purple, dark blue, light blue and a bit of the magenta and have some parts lit up by lights.   I don't think you have to worry about the sprites being too hard to see against the backdrop since you can keep the road relatively simple (maybe with white lines along through the road for a nice detail) and that's the area they'd mostly be on anyways.  And besides when at proper size and with sprites moving about I've never had any problems with CPC game sprites getting lost in the background.

I'm really keen to see how the animations look as that's pretty much what you excell in more than most pixellers do.
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline Stickman

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 12:56:50 am
At this point you probably also could copy paste bits you already have in this screen around and then do edits and connecting bits.

Okay. I'll need to rough out some windows, doors, lampost, posters as well. (also the pavement could do with a kerb too)

I don't normally post here but a friend linked me saying 'hey someones doing some cpc stuff' and I knew it would be stickman. 

Anyways I like the sprites a lot and the re-using legs is a pretty neat idea to save memory.  I didn't even notice they were using the same leg sprite until it was pointed out as I was more focused on the top half of the sprite which is always the part with most character.

The tiles though just don't work for me at all due to those colors chosen.  It's a pretty putrid scheme for the walls mainly due to the dark yellow and it all looks washed out and bland.  The main reason I love the CPC so much is for vivid colors with a lot of boldness and depth.  I'd probably use the dark brown and orange with a bit of red and yellow in the brick tiles to various degrees or if I was trying to go for a atmospheric night level, the purple, dark blue, light blue and a bit of the magenta and have some parts lit up by lights.   I don't think you have to worry about the sprites being too hard to see against the backdrop since you can keep the road relatively simple (maybe with white lines along through the road for a nice detail) and that's the area they'd mostly be on anyways.  And besides when at proper size and with sprites moving about I've never had any problems with CPC game sprites getting lost in the background.

I'm really keen to see how the animations look as that's pretty much what you excell in more than most pixellers do.

Hi Carnivac. Interesting points on the palette. I was trying to make the sprites really pop out from the background and avoid using to bold a colours. Your mentioning of the orange, brown, red and yellow seems like it would be very strong for this type of level where eveything is quite walled in. However it does work on the other renegade games which are heavy with bold colours. There going to be 6 levels and the character sprites will be dictating the colours of the background and there is going to be the classic night scene battle, where the blues and purples will be used. (I think the amstrad pallete is slightly off in these stills by a few numbers, but nothing enough to impact the difference.)

Your bold colour choices do sound interesting though and I'll give a bold look a try as it's still early days, but I do like how the sprites are reading at the moment.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 09:22:20 am
Sure, they 'pop' but I think it's easy enough to do that without forcing the background to use such a terribly ugly color scheme.  The washed out lack of contrast in the backdrop too almost make it seem not really there like it's far too seperate from the characters who are supposed to exist in the same place (just woke up so no idea if any of that makes sense).

(I think the amstrad pallete is slightly off in these stills by a few numbers, but nothing enough to impact the difference.)

Yeah I thought the brown and yellow looked slightly darker in relation to the other colors and I kinda hate that I noticed that.
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline Stickman

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 11:37:30 am
Sure, they 'pop' but I think it's easy enough to do that without forcing the background to use such a terribly ugly color scheme.  The washed out lack of contrast in the backdrop too almost make it seem not really there like it's far too seperate from the characters who are supposed to exist in the same place (just woke up so no idea if any of that makes sense).

..as you've just woken up - get yourself some breakfast and do me an edit ;)

Playing around with another version. Changed the brick work and I'm partial to the mellow version on the right

Edit: And before I touch this anymore, I need to get the correct pallete colour sorted out. The CPC pallete I downloaded is slightly off for some reason, but I managed to source out the correct RGB numbers.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 11:56:39 am by Stickman »

Offline Stickman

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 12:44:40 am
Will go for the blue version and do the connecting bits like ptoing said. Hopefully will have something to show by the end of this week.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 07:51:26 am
Actually I think even simpler. Why have wet highlights on everything?

Think of it as an inked oldschool comic background panel. Save the higher value range for the sprites. I'd do it even darker if I had more palette control, but I went with the colors that were in the mockup already.

Offline Stickman

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 11:19:55 am
Actually I think even simpler. Why have wet highlights on everything?

Think of it as an inked oldschool comic background panel. Save the higher value range for the sprites. I'd do it even darker if I had more palette control, but I went with the colors that were in the mockup already.

This is perfect and far more atmospheric than what I achieved. I'm glad that you removed all those highlights! It's also made me understand what look I need to be going for(background wise) as I was struggling with a theme for the game. ;D
All the dark colours are already in this mock up and I'm just going to add some wall damage bricks and cracks on top of what you've done as well as some darker bits between the bricks. I had started another brick texture which was just overly complicated and getting to the point where it was far too busy looking. I really appreciate what you've done here Helm and will follow this theme through out the game. Nice and simple!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 11:27:10 am
I'm glad to have helped.

Offline Stickman

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 05:54:04 pm
Here's the latest update. Haven't a clue how I'm going to optimize those crack tiles yet, but I feel that this is working.

I'm going to get working on the next scene of this level. Still have tiles space for lamposts, doors, extra windows etc. Just 7 more to do!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 06:26:33 pm by Stickman »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 08:05:54 am
That looks great to me. However reconsider the way you're doing shadows below the feet of the spites, it looks like they've chained their feet together instead. I'd rather no shadow at all to this.

The cracks give it a cool style. This is great progress I think.