AuthorTopic: Shading test  (Read 5805 times)

Offline devinode

• View Profile

Shading test

on: February 11, 2011, 03:00:18 pm
Well, this is what I've come up with in about 10 minutes for a little test of my shading. As I've stated before my works are simplistic at best. I figured I'd start with some weapons since my people skills are lacking. Tell me what you think and how I could possibly upgrade them

Offline Martyr

• View Profile

Re: Shading test

Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 03:28:04 pm
Pretty decent, but you should pay more attention to the materials and shapes of the objects. For instande the blade of the middle sword looks completely flat, one would expect that it's more angular, making the bottom horizontal half of the blade darker would help define the shape. The hilt on the sword is wider than the handle or blade, and should cast a shadow somewhere.

As for the bat, colours look dull and the surface could look more glossy. The outline shouldn't be visible at the blood thing.

Offline devinode

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 03:37:32 pm
The outline inside the blood, I tried to make slightly darker. but I suppose you are right. And as for the sword, I don't know. I suppose being so small I was kind of limited in my detail. I was going for a blade like the one in the master sword, a flat, thick center, with thin edges. And for the hilt, it all really depends on the lighting I suppose.

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 03:46:57 pm
Hey, first thing. don't save as .jpg since it destroys the pixel art.
I recommend .png
Tinypic may have changed it to jpg if you saved it as bmp

Anyway, i did do an edit but i accidentally closed photoshop before saving, so i'll just tell you what i did.

Find references,

As you can see from the top reference, the sword is divided into two sections which, show a 'twinning' relationship. (When one is dark, the other is light). By doing this, it gives more depth and makes the sword look more 3D. The second does the same, but i think for the size you're doing it at.. the first reference technique is better.

As for the samurai sword, one edge is very sharp. Show this by having a light shade (preferably white, or near it). The other side will be darker in colour due to the concave shape of the sword.

For the bat, it depends what you're aiming for.
A club, which is more natural, will appear less smooth.

If you're wanting to do a baseball bat, then there's also some good references.

Just remember you should always look for references. Be it via Google or pixeljoint (Though, pixeljoint is better for finding techniques used to show a certain texture, which you wouldn't be able to find out with a picture from google images).

Hope i helped.

Offline devinode

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 03:52:21 pm
Yea sorry about the upload. I was looking up some tutorials AFTER I saved that said DO NOT save as jpg...   :yell:

That did help a little but I don't really see how it lacks dimension... It does have varying shades to show some level of dimension.

But I do agree, the baseball bat, was horrible to say the least.

I might look at some fire emblem weapons for reference, I really enjoy that style of spriting.

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 04:13:20 pm
It does have different shades yes, but they aren't placed to show the 3dness of the sword.
Just a quick edit.

Offline devinode

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 04:15:54 pm
Oh wow. yea. looking at that my sword actually looks, well.. rounded :#  like an inftable toy..

Edit: Ok, here's a second attempt. kindof a rough sword, somewhat berzerker type.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 04:40:50 pm by devinode »

Offline devinode

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 05:24:27 pm
Sorry for the double post but here's a shot at lighting..

Offline Im King Louie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 06:19:43 pm
I think the handle of the sword is too shiny.  It has the same texture as the blade.  That suggests that the grip is slippery or smooth when it should be rough.

Offline devinode

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 06:50:31 pm
Yea, I should try my hand at texture too. and then blend all of these elements.