AuthorTopic: grafx2. grab brush/object on layer.  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Cybernetic

• View Profile

grafx2. grab brush/object on layer.

on: February 02, 2011, 05:42:33 pm
in grafx2, what exactly are layers? im under the impression that they are unique and that each layer has nothing to do with one another. when i create a new layer, and draw on it, i assume that im grabbing/selecting from a new and unique layer. however, grafx2 is not working this way. its working in the sketchup layer way (layers are not unique and all connect with layer1) what i want to do is create a unique layer so that i can grab brushes/objects with out grabbing the already created object. currently when i create a new layer, then grab it, it draws a black square that covers the object, but does not select it and also grabs the object from layer1. ive found a way to use the lasso for grabbing on layer1.  ive posted pictures to show you what i mean. thanx cybernetic

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 05:51:59 pm by Cybernetic »

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Re: grafx2. grab brush/object on layer.

Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 03:07:07 pm
Layers are unique and independent, almost all tools and effects can only read and write in the current layer.
I can't view your screen captures from here, but:

> when i create a new layer, then grab it, it draws a black square that covers the object

It sounds like you used the right mouse button to grab. It replaces the grabbed part by pixels of your current BG color. If this BG color is the same number as your image's transparent color, it really erases (becomes transparent, you see other layers below). But if it's a different color, it draws solid pixels in its place. It can be confusing if the image's transparent color is "black", and you also paint in "black" with an other color index.

> but does not select it and also grabs the object from layer1.

The brush-grabbing sees only one layer, so if you don't capture the brush that you expected, it means you grabbed from the wrong layer, or you had drawn the shape in the wrong layer.
Note that when you right-click the button of the currently active layer, it hides all others (or shows them back). It's very handy to check the content of a layer.

Here's a test image, it can help experiment with the tools:
http://grafx2.googlecode.com/issues/attachment?aid=6958252391428804566&name=12345678.gif&token=8b83c394aa744636d6150b1e670e153f
(Attachment from page http://code.google.com/p/grafx2/issues/detail?id=7#c26  , use button "download" because button "view" fetches a flat PNG copy.)
The "1" is written in layer 1, "2" in layer 2 etc. All the rest is transparent.