AuthorTopic: W.I.P for a Game  (Read 3704 times)

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

W.I.P for a Game

on: April 19, 2006, 10:42:19 am

W.I.P of Edward the Robot.

C&c apreciated

Offline helloimpoor

• View Profile

Re: W.I.P for a Game

Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 10:46:59 am
i wub the shading on the body but the legs need finishing as do the hands.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 02:56:49 pm
Needs some hues in the metal shading.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 12:02:20 am
I agree with big brother, also the shading on its body seems a little non-sensical, either its alot of shadow on a flat surface, or its reflecting strong shadow, but if thats the case the reflections are all grey, and I dunno, it just seems strange.

Offline Razz

• AM I ENDING ALL MY QUESTIONS WITH PERIODS.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 03:03:50 am
i wub the shading on the body but the legs need finishing as do the hands.
That's why it's a W.I.P.

I think that the head's done really well, but the body almost doesn't make much sense. Mostly the "chest."

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 03:39:32 am
the head's great, but everything else is like "WTF."
As pointed out, the shading on the torso doesn't make much sense, but I think you should work on your line art a bit more before continuing. The arms are really inconsistent when it comes to thickness, both along their own lengths and when compared to one another. The shoulders look different, 'cause the near one doesn't overlap as much as the far one. Oh, and the way that far arm overlaps the leg is really...wierd. The top of the torso looks pretty wierd, too. I know it's not human, but that pose looks uncomfortable...especially how the legs flare out like that and the way the head is so far back.

What kind of stance were you going for? You should definately have an idea of what you want your character to be doing before posing him, and then, make sure the pose makes sense. Right now, I can't tell what he's supposed to be portraying: Heroism? Readiness? Surprise? Robotic Emotionlessness?

You might also want to redo those hands. They're kinda iffy. Unless you're actually making a human, you can take some shortcuts when it comes to the amount of fingers a character has.

Honestly, I don't wanna sound pessimistic, but I would consider redoing everything but the head. Start out with a solid base pose and lineart, make sure you have a designated lightsource and an idea of how each surface of the robot will reflect that surface.

Really, though, I do like that head.