AuthorTopic: Thug (Streets of Rage/ Final Fight Type Game)  (Read 3836 times)

Offline Afr0Blu3

• View Profile

Thug (Streets of Rage/ Final Fight Type Game)

on: February 01, 2011, 09:55:52 pm
Just something I've been working on, it'd suit a thug in a Streets of Rage style game, set in that late 80s/ early 90s Judge Dredd, Terminator, etc future.

Here it is animated

Here's the sheet

Any feedback you have would be greatly appreciated

Offline what

• View Profile

Re: Thug (Streets of Rage/ Final Fight Type Game)

Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 10:40:24 pm
First punch:
if someone punched you like that, do you think it would huirt?  ;D
Try to make it faster

Second punch:
Look at yourself in the mirror and punch. does your arm go back that much? (i hope not)
does it end in the same position as it started?
does it go directly back, or off to the side before you bring it back?

The beginning of the punches:
You probably wanna make this two sheets. one for the punch and one for the standing.
The way he pulls his foot up is unnatural.

Standing:
His feet are kinda shaky

I dont want to sound overly harsh.
Kudos tho. The sprite itself pretty good over all!  :D

Offline 2hackx

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 11:53:48 am
The animation of the punch looks so weak. Make it look like "Dragonball-ish".

And the legs are kinda wide. Try to compress the legs a bit.
Architecture is basically a container of something. I hope they will enjoy not so much the teacup, but the tea.

paintings for sale | artwork for sale

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 12:02:49 pm
Haivng the torso a constantly static entity is very problematic.

It works for the weak jab, but it looks supah crazy for the <--left arm (his right)

All the power from a punch comes from the hips->shoulders->arm with a static hip there's no chance to ever make the punch look powerful.

So. Redraw the fully-extended-hitting-arm frame. Completely! Then make the rest of the animation work with it. It'll make everything wonderful.

First punch has too many frames leading up to the actual punch. Make it snap into the hit instantly.

(some comments on earlier crits: I think it's cool that he extends his arm far back for his second punch, it's good windup and'll give the rest of the animation power.

I don't have any problem with his wide stance. His right (our <---) leg could go even farther back though. I think he's a little bit off balance currently.)

Anyways DON'T MAKE HIM STAND STILL LIKE  THIS. It seriously incapacitates your ability to make good-looking animation. It'll take time. Good-looking animation takes time!
' _ '

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 01:32:18 pm
Nice start :-)

Not that I have any experience with animation but you def need to lean him forward a bit for the first punch by at least just sliding the torso over and lean his weight a little onto his front leg making his rear leg stretched out a touch.
Maybe play around with bringing the head down a touch at the same time and then look at changing the angle of it to face more towards the camera and tilted to the side for effect.

With the second punch, he should really lean into it with all his weight on front leg and back leg stretched out.
His head should be faced a bit away from the camera there and again angled a bit.

Maybe check out some reference for how boxers or kickboxers do it and just do the key frames in their extremities before worrying too much about all the frames in between, then add those later once you are happy rather than going frame by frame.
Alot of classic games get away with just a couple of frames for fast punches anyway so you can just go back and add as many as you think you need...

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 11:57:17 pm
His legs are waaaaaayyyyyyyyy too long. Some banding and pillow shading here and there. Hair is a bit too wild.  :D