AuthorTopic: how would i do this?  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Cybernetic

• View Profile

how would i do this?

on: January 28, 2011, 05:55:57 pm
hey pixel friends. im glad to be here. i just learned about pixel art recently and i think its very beautiful. obviously theres a lot of work thats involved. but its worth it. i hope :-\ im using grafx2. what i want to  do is be able to divide the rectangle so the windows fit the walls to proportion. im sure there must be a method to do this. to me , it makes sense that you would need to divide the roof into i think 32 triangles. (im not sure if math is involved in pixel art or if its all done by a certain method. is my isometric cube correct? is grafx2 a good pixel program? is it ok to use the line tool in grafx2 the way i did or is this a shortcut that creates more problems then solutions? thanx :) cybernetic.

(p.s.) i wasnt aware if this forum is active or not hence so many questions. and there will be be more! just being honest :D

Offline Cybernetic

• View Profile

Re: how would i do this?

Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 06:10:58 pm
btw, i notice there are some gr8 tutorials on this sight. got a lot of reading to do.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 07:51:52 pm
hey chief,

line tool is fine, but try to just post the regular image rather than screencapture, that way it's pixel-perfect and we can use the forum's built in zoom to make it larger.

you'll often find in isometric that using even widths (n*2) is often preferable to odd widths, as they won't repeat so easily.

there's a million ways to draw and subdivide a surface.  on planes or in lower pixel counts you can just measure, nothing complex about it.  More intricate shapes can be easily produced with a basic knowledge of technical drawing too complicated to describe here.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Cybernetic

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 08:37:25 pm

hi. are you saying that id be best doing it by eye or that i need a technical background to create precise pixel art? is that what most pixel artist do? use math to draw pixel art man i suck at math :sigh:

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 09:12:26 pm
keen observation is needed, and simple math (like 4*4=16 kind of simple).  the eye generally knows when things are off, even if finding what's correct can be harder.

precision is a given - if you place single pixels, you are precise, if you do not, then you're not making pixel-art.

drawing quality and projection accuracy do require practice or technical knowledge, but this can be picked up through any of the numerous tutorials or, for those really interested in an academic sense, books on the subject.

but no, you don't need to be a draughtsman to make a decent building.  looking at what you're doing, paying attention to others, feeling what is right and what isn't, these are the most key.  

for instance, if you have a particular question about a piece of pixel art, such as how to space these windows, posting in the appropriately-labeled "Pixel Art" section of this board is the best way to begin!
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.