AuthorTopic: GR#056 - Platform Adventure - Sideview, Scenery, Sprites  (Read 51707 times)

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Re: My game WIP

Reply #40 on: June 12, 2011, 01:26:09 pm
i have an issue with these colours:

they blend pretty well together, except the problem is, the red and the green are for the player's sprite and the grey for the background.
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #41 on: June 12, 2011, 02:55:13 pm
i have an issue with these colours:

they blend pretty well together, except the problem is, the red and the green are for the player's sprite and the grey for the background.
Thats not the colours I'm using now though, do you think the last one has better readability?
Sorry, I hadn't updated the top of the post but now its fixed.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: June 13, 2011, 04:42:01 am
Oops I pressed Reply instead of Edit :-/
Ah well, new scene I'm working going outdoors now just blocking it out and trying to work out the colours.

I've had no luck at all doing backgrounds so far so please all c+c are welcome.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:44:48 am by Decroded »

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: June 13, 2011, 06:53:25 am
Your latest background is looking good.  Although, if this is a game you're actually working on and not just a mockup, I hope you're working on that background in layers, so you can separate them later and get a really nice parallax effect going.  :)

If not, you'd better separate it now before you have too much detail now and you're more committed.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: June 13, 2011, 07:20:19 am
Your latest background is looking good.  Although, if this is a game you're actually working on and not just a mockup, I hope you're working on that background in layers, so you can separate them later and get a really nice parallax effect going.  :)

If not, you'd better separate it now before you have too much detail now and you're more committed.
Haha yeah its all layered in photoshop, thanks for comments.

I started this desert scene too as I will probably work on a few at a time and keep working through them.
I hope it is clear what I am going for, the desert I'm trying to do is make a mix of deep sand tiles, and sand covered rocks which I hope to be able to slope up and down some rocky outcrops and ideally down through some shaded crevice in the rock areas.

Some tips on colours and composition would appreciated, especially the desert scene where I was going for sand dunes in the background but I'm a bit confused how to get good atmospheric perspective and I think it looks more like mountains?

Once I'm happy with some progress on desert I will attempt to modify it to make a base for snow and snow covered rocks - again I have never attempted this :-S

Also what do you guys think about the style of keeping the backgrounds as fairly undetailed, simple blocks of colour like this with perhaps the odd feature which would still be failry undetailed?
I was reading that this is a good way of keeping focus on what is happening in the foreground...

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #45 on: June 13, 2011, 07:41:08 am
Your main character did a great job with the dungeon BG, but imho, it doesn't pop out as well outdoor. That would make sense to provide an alternate palette that uses more saturated colours.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #46 on: June 13, 2011, 08:01:19 am
Your main character did a great job with the dungeon BG, but imho, it doesn't pop out as well outdoor. That would make sense to provide an alternate palette that uses more saturated colours.
Thanks I never thought of that.
I don't know how to do that in Game Maker without multiple copies of each sprite but there is probably a way.

Any comments about the backgrounds? Does it look like sand dunes to you? Do you think I should have another layer?

One thing that has been doing my head in for a while is how to make paralax backgrounds that let you go up high and down low without it breaking.
Maybe I'm overthinking it but if there is any material on that subject then I would like to read it.

Offline timeatscookies

• View Profile

Re: [C+C please] Platform adventure WIP

Reply #47 on: June 14, 2011, 01:31:03 am
Oh my! This game is looking quite beautiful I must say! I seriously love the desert. Forest looks great too, make no mistake. Major talent going on here :D.

I would offer critique but I'm far too nooby to be offering advice. But yeah, this is looking lovely. I can't wait to see more!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: June 14, 2011, 02:15:20 am
Oh my! This game is looking quite beautiful I must say! I seriously love the desert. Forest looks great too, make no mistake. Major talent going on here :D.

I would offer critique but I'm far too nooby to be offering advice. But yeah, this is looking lovely. I can't wait to see more!
Great thanks mate.
I'm nooby too all first time for me though I've been trying for a while and just soaking up as much knowledge as I can from all the pro's here on pixelation...

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #49 on: June 19, 2011, 04:14:58 am
Ok here I am making a proper effort at creating some dirt, grass and generic foliage.
I know it doesn't tile which doesn't seem hard to fix later, but its more of a study to work on my technique.
This is because I have been fairly unsuccesful in my (many) previous attempts.

I'll just make it clear that I am doing everything straight on without any top angle as such, but sometimes I may bend this a little in places as they do in Metal Slug.

The ground is various styles basically from left to right is the order I've been working in trying some different looks.
Please can I get some feedback if anything looks better than other bits so I know what to discard, and any tips on how to improve please?
I still find it really hard to draw good rocks and stuff and I keep finding myself with lots of small, repeated shapes >.<

I've just started on the foliage too, the berries is pretty pointless and a little distracting but I was just mucking around there.
Its supposed to be a sort of hanging vine and small trees/shrubs.
Despite the stray pixels, is this method I've used a good way to start out though?

Any advice on colours and form of dirt, rocks and foliage?
Is the grass too noisy?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 04:16:58 am by Decroded »