AuthorTopic: GR#056 - Platform Adventure - Sideview, Scenery, Sprites  (Read 51701 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: My game WIP

Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 10:14:07 am
Hi, i like your work so far but i was thinking that the colors for the castle tileset seems to be too warm for such place, why don't you play with colder colors a bit?
Also, sorry but i don't like the warrior's pose, i think that kind of pose fits better to the "big-brute" ones. Why don't you try something more agile?
Thanks I'll take those comments on and do what I can.

Tried playing around with the character's stance (ws supposed to look agile lol) but just made it worse - any edits are welcome if someone can help out to make him look less unco.
Or even if someone can recommend a good reference site for male poses (preferably not nude lol)?

New health potion (old one up top), added a gemstone, obligitory RPG chicken (not yet animated) and an NPC (mainly just so I could build the dialog engine):

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:14:44 am by Decroded »

Offline Demian

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 01:29:12 am
Hey i really like these last sprites but chicken seems to be a bit oversized...

About the warrior's standing, is he supposed to be attacking regularly or just occasionally? cause you might think of prince of persia as reference if you fight occasionally. Other references i can think now are Diablo games, always ready to attack but different perspective than yours :huh:. Shadow of the colossus, but that depends on the amount of fighting you will have.
^^

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 03:24:09 pm
Hey i really like these last sprites but chicken seems to be a bit oversized...
About the warrior's standing, is he supposed to be attacking regularly or just occasionally? cause you might think of prince of persia as reference if you fight occasionally. Other references i can think now are Diablo games, always ready to attack but different perspective than yours :huh:. Shadow of the colossus, but that depends on the amount of fighting you will have.
Thanks for comments.
Yeah chicken is a little too chunky hey I'll shrink it down thanks.
Interesting you ask about frequency of fighting - I've been struggling with that myself and haven't been able to decide yet to be honest.
For now I've started a new walk cycle becuase  the old one was drawn with no reference so the new one just uses http://www.idleworm.com/how/anm/02w/walk1.shtml for reference.
I haven't had a chance to detail yet or start on torso which will have to at least twist as he walks.
What do you think so far?
old: - new:

Do you think the movement is too much how he strides forward on the passing and high-point frames?
I'm trying to add something besides just bob up and down but I don't know if it looks ok and its pretty late here O.o

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 08:18:46 pm
His feet stay at the same place too long at the end of his steps, this would have the effect of it looking as though he's gliding forwards on that foot when you get him to move forward across the screen.

Make sure the ground travels under him at a set pace, and that his feet follow this.

Except for that it's looking mighty nice. The leg movement is tons better than before. Good progress!
' _ '

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 12:58:17 pm
His feet stay at the same place too long at the end of his steps, this would have the effect of it looking as though he's gliding forwards on that foot when you get him to move forward across the screen.
Make sure the ground travels under him at a set pace, and that his feet follow this.
Except for that it's looking mighty nice. The leg movement is tons better than before. Good progress!
Thanks for feedback.
I'm so noob I wouldn't have known but I think I can see now and hopefully fixed.
Touched up each frame a little, tried to even foot movement and added some ground to move along.
What do you think now?

Maybe can do with a little more tweaking before I start on the torso...

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 03:46:40 pm
I think you should be able to see more of the leg behind when it's furthest forward, around the pelvis. Other than that, looks really smooth and natural.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 12:42:59 pm by ptoing »

Offline Otzlowe

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 10:31:25 pm
I think you should be able to see more of the leg behind when it's furthest forward, around the pelvis. Other than that, looks really smooth and natural.

I don't know that I agree. While that's what'd make sense for a regular walk, assume that he's holding his shield forward, with his torso twisted. It starts to make sense in that case and looks pretty good to me. If his hips twisted too much, it would have a chance of making it look as though he weren't walking directly to the side.

In any case, this new animation is really smooth. The arm looks stiff in that 90 degree angle pose, and maybe more cartoony (because of its angle) than the rest of your stuff, but I also think it gives him character.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:44:54 pm by Otzlowe »

Offline adamisgr8

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 07:40:18 pm
Very nice, I would like to say that you should make more variations of each tile and use them all instead of just one. It will look much better with a less 'griddy' feel.
+1

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 10:30:25 am
Ok haven't posted anything in a while been so busy but started working on a running animation last couple of nights.
Used this Youtube video as a reference http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USTO4-FAL_E
I know there is appearing and dissapearing details but I'm not going to detail it until I'm happy with the movement.
All feedback welcome - especially any advice on how to fix the head placement as it is jittering around at the moment and I'm going blind from staring at the frames >.<

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 03:03:16 pm

Find a second shooter reference and just fix up the jumpiness in the torso.