AuthorTopic: GR#056 - Platform Adventure - Sideview, Scenery, Sprites  (Read 51968 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: My game WIP

Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 12:19:33 am
IThanks appreciate the comments agree with everything. Really helps me with direction to improve. Already aware of sone points just wish I had more time ie. Quit my job lol!
Probably won't waste time with main character right now as my friend going to help me with sketches for animations as well as design some orcs and skeletons and stuff and his drawing skills r kick ass so I cant wait to colour and pixelize.
Main character redesign will probably be a pretty bland costume initially (but less condom-headed) and then do a stack of modifications for all the diff weapons and apparel.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 02:21:12 pm
Quick colour edit and basic shadows added.
Any comments about new colours?
I was playing around with the HSV in Photoshop and was trying to go for colder colours in the darker with warmer in the light but I'm really new to colours so any tips are appreciated (like general rules for HSV??).

UPDATE: kept playing around and added some extra tiles to sex up the background a bit though needs a few more variation tiles.
Some bricks near ladder are actually cracked but it is barely visible  :-\
I'm pretty happy with how the columns came out though  ;D

Also some various swords that might be seen while progessing through the game...

Tried to fix shadow on dungeon door (small change):

UPDATE:
Updated door texure instead of random pixeling and added detail.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 03:01:38 am by Decroded »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 02:36:17 pm
I'm kind of using this place like a scrapbook   ::)
I know this is bad, bad graphics lol.
Its actually the first tile set I made just to have something to start programming the game (my first game too - solo project so far).
Posting here for reference as I will be working on replacing this tileset soon with something that isn't so freakin hideous - hopefully!!  ;D

P.S. Oh and I know there shouldn't be grass in a cave lol
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 01:06:13 am by Decroded »

Offline Ambient

• Aspiring artist
    • View Profile
    • ambient-art.net

Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 04:29:34 pm
I think you need more variation in the foreground tiles, because as of now, there's only a few that I see. This is where decay really comes into place, out of the janitor's reach. Maybe have some tunnels dug by escaping prisoners/hungry dragons, attempted tunnels running into something impermeable, and simple smashed bricks. They have a lot of weight on them. And lastly, I'd add some stains, especially near the surface. For one, I don't see any toilets...
Art gives me a joy that nothing else can.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 02:25:00 am
I think you need more variation in the foreground tiles, because as of now, there's only a few that I see. This is where decay really comes into place, out of the janitor's reach. Maybe have some tunnels dug by escaping prisoners/hungry dragons, attempted tunnels running into something impermeable, and simple smashed bricks. They have a lot of weight on them. And lastly, I'd add some stains, especially near the surface. For one, I don't see any toilets...
Lol! Good suggestions I'll try that next time I get back to that tileset.
Still screwing around trying to do some decent rock textures at the moment to redo the cave tiles.
1.) 2.)

Still a long way to go...

edit:
1)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 02:48:15 am by Decroded »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 07:42:23 pm
Ew, that latest mockup is so low-contrast. Darken up that bg. The door's detail level and general caliber blows away the tiles. Looks like different artists did them.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 08:38:55 am
Ew, that latest mockup is so low-contrast. Darken up that bg. The door's detail level and general caliber blows away the tiles. Looks like different artists did them.
Haha yeah it was done REALLY quickly so I could jump in and learn game maker. I'm learning everything atm still struggling with the pixel art.
I'm working on replacing this tile set (amongst other things) but my skills r so bad that its taking me ages and I'm not happy do far...
Game maker coming along nicely though I don't know how many of u artists r coders too or what systems u use but would be interested to find out...

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 12:41:21 pm
Another rough attempt at replacing the horrible cave tileset.
Trying something different colour-wise.
Crits and suggestions welcome, especially any tips on how to improve the form of rocks in the background tiles for example.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 04:24:27 pm

My standard issue RPG chest - I'm pixeling in Game Maker's sprite editor on a TV so colours probably look wierd.

Also starting some tiles to replace the awful tileset for foresty-type levels.

And this is a background tile to go with it for enclosed areas.

Just unhappy that everything is so small in comparison with my main character and finding it kind of hard to do 32x32 tiles of rocks and stuff - considering going starting a fresh low-res project at 16x16 pixels   :(
Any feedback is welcome as always.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 04:38:44 pm by Decroded »

Offline Demian

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 04:36:17 pm
Hi, i like your work so far but i was thinking that the colors for the castle tileset seems to be too warm for such place, why don't you play with colder colors a bit?
Also, sorry but i don't like the warrior's pose, i think that kind of pose fits better to the "big-brute" ones. Why don't you try something more agile?
^^