AuthorTopic: GR#056 - Platform Adventure - Sideview, Scenery, Sprites  (Read 51691 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile
This has turned into a bit of a scapbook for my WIP of a Game Maker platform engine.

As this is my first real attempt at both game programming (have other programming experience) and pixel art (just used to sketch when I was much younger), I am very much looking for c+c on the graphics as well as any suggestions and cool ideas for the game design and concept.
Latest playable demo is here if anyone is interested but its just a bunch of random test rooms at this point - http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=510554

Latest:

Old:

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:20:44 am by Decroded »

Offline Savick

• View Profile

Re: My game WIP

Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 08:40:14 pm
Looks fairly good except for the text like you said. I'm curious as to why there are cross hairs. I like dungeon crawlers and the world needs more 2D ones. Good luck to ya.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 02:07:51 am
Looks fairly good except for the text like you said. I'm curious as to why there are cross hairs. I like dungeon crawlers and the world needs more 2D ones. Good luck to ya.

Thanks for the positive feedback :-)
I know text is quick an nasty :-o

There is a xhair because you move with WASD and aim/attack with mouse.
Also you can look around with the mouse to move the view (limited).
I'm not really happy with that xhair but haven't had much luck making it look any better...

I'm so indecisive about where I should go with it (so many possibilities!!) so for now I keep coding stuff that I can use which ever way it goes.
My first game programming experience anyway so its all a great learning experience.
I really love games like Metroid and Shadow Complex (download frmo from xbox live!!!), but I want to give a bit more of an RPG element.
I've been thinking about a quasi-leveling system where you gain XP as you go along that you can spend any time (sort of like God of War) to level up all the different abilities instead of having to wait until you achieve the next level to spend points.
I suppose game design not really the topic for these forums but I still welcome any feedback in that area :-)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:10:04 am by Decroded »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 03:27:29 pm
Updated my dungeon door so thought I would post the progress for some feedback.

Before:

After:

And here is as animated GIF, actually my first ever animated GIF ^,^

The speed is about the same as in game.
I could add more frames but I don't want it to take long to go between rooms anyway so probably won't add more...

Offline KevinTrepanier

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 06:57:32 pm
Great door! The animation is smooth. I don't see any needs for more frames.

However I think the shadow could be improved. The part that is near the hinges should stay in the light. The shadow should appear gradually from the handle first and on to the hinges. This should give it more depth.

Offline ZargonX

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 08:42:48 pm
Looking good!  The second version of the door is a nice improvement.  Would love to see an animated version of the player when you have it.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 09:24:24 pm
Great door! The animation is smooth. I don't see any needs for more frames.

However I think the shadow could be improved. The part that is near the hinges should stay in the light. The shadow should appear gradually from the handle first and on to the hinges. This should give it more depth.

Thanks yeah you're right, that shadow never sat quite right with me either so basically I think the angle needs to increase of just staying in arch shape.
I'll fix that when I get time.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 09:26:16 pm
Looking good!  The second version of the door is a nice improvement.  Would love to see an animated version of the player when you have it.

Will post when I get a chance although its pretty shockingly bad haha.
I cheaped out in a lot of ways like his torso doesn't move when he walks etc.

Offline Stefano

• 10 different types of soup
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile

Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 11:34:45 pm
Hey, it's quite nice!

My only critiques would be:
1. I think there's too much noise (stray single pixels and unpatterned dither) going on, though. It's as if everything is rugous or spongy.
My tip would be: create less lines/dots of colour (except when the crisp look is required!) and work with more defined and strategically placed areas of colour, dithering with moderation.

2. The calves of your character are too perpendicular to the ground, which makes him look unbalanced, as if he's sitting on something to hold the pose.
Try to crouching in front of a mirror. You'll see your knee will go forward and the calf will necessarily follow it, leaning forward.

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 12:01:54 am
Updated my dungeon door so thought I would post the progress for some feedback.

Before:

After:

And here is as animated GIF, actually my first ever animated GIF ^,^

The speed is about the same as in game.
I could add more frames but I don't want it to take long to go between rooms anyway so probably won't add more...

I'm loving this improvement. My main criticism for the main screenshot is that everything looks good, but slightly bland. This takes a door that is good and makes it much more interesting and lively. I think your main character and this door are the pieces that have the most spark of them all so far.

For your backgrounds, I'd make the dark bricks slightly less black and make tiles to show that the front bricks are casting shadows on the back ones to give the setting more depth and at the same time, connect them so that they are more obviously part of the same scene. Right now, the door is supposedly resting up against a wall that is much, much darker than it. It makes the door look like it's floating. I think your front bricks look too "mannered". Add something to break up the repetition. You've done some stuff so far to help this, but take it a step or two further.

I like the little items a lot. The switch needs a little work.

And the ladder and the treasure box are, in my opinion, the worst parts of this. The ladder looks flat and the box looks like you haven't spent much time on it.

This is really promising, so I hope you keep posting updates
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 12:10:36 am by infinitegames »