AuthorTopic: Wild Crossroads - Possible game/animation/sprite comic  (Read 6476 times)

Offline Savick

• View Profile

Wild Crossroads - Possible game/animation/sprite comic

on: January 30, 2011, 06:12:30 am
First time poster here. Did some lurking. So, here's my first thing.
It's an idea for a sprite comic based on an original game concept. You are Vinny, the owner of the smartest crow in all of The Wilds. The crow's name is Sally. She's got a bit of a compulsive gambling problem plus she's psychic. This is not the first time you've awakened only to find yourself wielding your mysterious staff, wearing your pointy helmet, and nothing else but a pair of boxers. Oh, and you have your backpack. Gotta have one of those in an RPG. Every time Vinny makes a certain amount of money he's woken up in the same situation. Why does he put up with this crap? Sally is a very useful crow. She acts as radar for Vinny so he can detect enemies, warns him of danger, locates some kinds of items, and has a general concern for his well-being although it may not appear so. Vinny would have never made it in The Wilds alone, so its more of a love hate relationship.
Anyway here's the first mock-up.

I'm still rather new to this sprite stuff, but find it fun and rewarding.  :D

Offline what

• View Profile

Re: Wild Crossroads - Possible game/animation/sprite comic

Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 12:38:27 am
bro, i like where this is goin.
his pointy helmet is kinda crooked, his face is kinda off, and Sally's beak is kinda snub. but this is pretty boss.  :lol:

Offline Savick

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 01:34:17 am
Thanks for the comments "what". The horns on the helmet are crooked because Vinny bought it that way. How is his face kinda off? Sally's beak...well she's a weird crow. Glad someone commented on this.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 02:30:08 am
LOTTA wasted space in that HUD.

Offline Savick

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 03:06:14 am
You mean the sides that are empty or the thing in the center needs work? The HUD really is a work in progress like most of this. Maybe you could offer some suggestions instead of just saying it needs work? Thanks.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 03:23:58 am
Why shore. I'm here to serve. I suggest you don't waste space.

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 10:42:47 am
very beautiful.  His face has a lump on the right side.  It is too low to be an ear.  It can't be his nose because then as it angles up it would cover part of his eye, but since it doesn't then it can't be.  I suppose that it could be a Pinocchio nose but if you are going to do something that weird you need to be more explicit about it.

Offline TomF

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 10:50:56 am
You mean the sides that are empty or the thing in the center needs work? The HUD really is a work in progress like most of this. Maybe you could offer some suggestions instead of just saying it needs work? Thanks.

Pretty valid crit I think, straight to the point. Not only are the sides empty but the text is unnecessarily large. My suggestion: shrink it down to half the size and play around with the layout. Possibly split it in two, one half in each corner?

Offline what

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 08:08:56 pm
Thanks for the comments "what". The horns on the helmet are crooked because Vinny bought it that way. How is his face kinda off? Sally's beak...well she's a weird crow. Glad someone commented on this.

the right side of his face is kinda lumpy, and there is an extra line on the front spike on his helmet  :D

Offline Solluxx

• 1 pixel out of place :D
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 08:24:50 pm
first off this is really cool, your sense of style oozes through this piece but i think you could do a lot more "oozing"
i really like the hud actually i just thing that it could be spaced out allitle, everything seems mashed together which is really cool but its to the point were your eyes arent sure to look, space it out so its readable and can be glanced at.
i like the sprites except for the bird, his body seems to drop off at the back fill her out alittle.
and i guess its some sort of desert but stil a few more details could be added to make it feel not so empty, occasional ruins,rocks,etc
hope this at all helps and keep up the good work! :y:
In my opinion ;D