AuthorTopic: [WIP] NES palette Knight  (Read 4275 times)

Offline Darlos9D

• View Profile

[WIP] NES palette Knight

on: January 27, 2011, 04:32:42 pm
So I'm working on sprites for a castlevania-like game, and am limiting myself to the NES's native color palette. Here's what I've got so far.

Just standing (sorry, not a gif. Also the pole he's holding is just a placeholder. His polearm weapon will be a separate sprite):

Battle stance:

At least in the battle stance, I figure I might want to make his arms move a bit, independently of the torso. I'm not sure on the exact motion to go for though.

C&C welcome, since while I'm not exactly new to pixel art, I've never tried to "go pro" with it.

Offline Solluxx

• 1 pixel out of place :D
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] NES palette Knight

Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 08:41:46 pm
it might be just me but i feel like the battle stance should have some turn to it like the standing one but thats just being picky,  the only other thing i notice are the legs which i think feel alittle to long.But i really like the movement of the hair and legs its spot on, nice piece! ;D
In my opinion ;D

Offline Darlos9D

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 09:47:48 pm
Yeah I actually had the same thought with the legs, which I may shorten up just a tad in the battle stance.

Next I need to make some kind of transition between the two stances, and then some kind of running animation.

Offline Darlos9D

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 02:38:56 am
Here's an updated gif that combines his standing sprite, his battle stance, and a new in-between transition frame. This shows what it might actually look like in game when you leave him idle after going into the battle stance (which is pretty much any time you stop moving or attacking. It's all pretty much inspired by Alucard's idle animations in Symphony of the Night)

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 01:27:11 am by Darlos9D »

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 02:59:50 am
It might just be me but it kind of looks like he grabbing his groin like the rappers do. Maybe move his hand a little bit higher? Looking good though.

Offline Darlos9D

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 04:09:44 am
That's actually kind of an awesome way to look at it...

But he'll be holding a polearm eventually, which should eliminate any illusions of hand/crotch interaction.

I might give his battle stance a bit more attention, but the next thing is to move onto the task of an actual running animation.

Offline Darlos9D

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 03:06:29 am
My god I finally did the running animation.

Now we're getting somewhere.

Offline Im King Louie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 05:02:04 am
I think the point on the shoulder plate needs to move out of view when his chest is facing to the right.