AuthorTopic: Terrain and House - "Sidescroller" style landscape.  (Read 6978 times)

Offline Geti

• View Profile

Terrain and House - "Sidescroller" style landscape.

on: January 27, 2011, 09:31:09 am

It's a work in progress. It may be part of a much larger scene for a game of picturewars if I can muster up the motivation for so much detail work, but truth be told I might keep it this size and just add some characters to spice it up and keep it as a portfolio piece.

I'm happy with most of what's done but need some way of adding more detail to the backgrounds inside the structures without losing the definition between foreground and background. If I get around to it I'm hoping to finish it off tomorrow, but thought I might post it here for some criticism, you guys are a much better catch of the various possible idiocies than I.

Offline Solluxx

• 1 pixel out of place :D
    • View Profile

Re: Terrain and House - "Sidescroller" style landscape.

Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 08:34:07 pm
its a WIP so its kinda hard for me to make any judgement but overall this is very good!
the only real think that is putting me off is the large blocks of color such as in the background,buildings,and ground but as you said youll get to it, mabye a few more little detailed objects would give it that visual appeal i want went i look at this but nice job so far ;D
In my opinion ;D

Offline Geti

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 10:16:27 pm
I'll definitely add some detail to the background, but the deeper ground is going to stay as a block colour as it's intended to show blocked line of sight into that part of the terrain. That said, I need some way of backing the building backgrounds more interesting without harming readability of what's "solid" ground and what's background, ideas there would be appreciated ;)

Offline The 7th Sin

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 10:43:12 pm
Very nice, the level of detail is quite visually appealing.

I'll second what Solluxx said about adding detailed objects, and add that some light oriented objects would be interesting.
(i.e some shadowed objects below the building or maybe a beam of light coming through the window.)

Just a thought.

Sincerely,
The 7th Sin

Offline Solluxx

• 1 pixel out of place :D
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 10:44:49 pm
hmm well i guess you could just dull out the colors of the items inside? :-\
or you could try lighting, put a source of light inside and have everything inside affected by it. idk good luck :P

omg 7th sin totally stole my light idea and posted while i was typing XD lawls great minds think alike
In my opinion ;D

Offline Geti

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 11:15:12 pm
I'm thinking of putting a lantern and a bunch of crates in that middle room, so I'm glad both of you think I should play with lighting ;)

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 10:13:56 am
This, my friend, I likez very much!

Everything looks really good, especially the fire/smoke, tho it could use some sort of ground telling us its a lantern, cos atm it looks as the other poles tha's holdning the ground and other stuff up. Another thing that bothers me is the pink/skin-looking colour uve used at some places, you should consider changing it and maby add just a little more contrast into the picture, cos at first I thought it was a JPEG cos of the simmilar colours.

But overall, really nice job and style, looking forward to seeing more.

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 11:06:40 am
Who are you on picture wars? I must say this is very nice, but often maps like this are hard to play on, especially if lazy members don't bother the fix the ground where they've been.

Offline Geti

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 04:46:56 am
Everything looks really good, especially the fire/smoke, tho it could use some sort of ground telling us its a lantern, cos atm it looks as the other poles tha's holdning the ground and other stuff up. Another thing that bothers me is the pink/skin-looking colour uve used at some places, you should consider changing it and maby add just a little more contrast into the picture, cos at first I thought it was a JPEG cos of the simmilar colours.
Yeah, I do need to play around with the colours more but PictureWars always seems to use low contrast anyway, so it's more of an attempt to fit in than anything else ;) that said, I like the contrast of your edit. The pinky colour used is because I wanted to keep the colours fairly saturated and needed to describe wood, and I quite like how it interacts with the ground, but I might tweak it a little.

Who are you on picture wars? I must say this is very nice, but often maps like this are hard to play on, especially if lazy members don't bother the fix the ground where they've been.
I'm not anyone on the actual picture wars forums, I just play on DRLFF and am internet buddies with Lizard (or Lizzrd as he is on PW), and we're thinking of having a "high quality" match. I personally don't think nearly enough effort is put into the pixelling side of things in most PW matches but I appreciate the realism behind such a statement. Putting the terrain back after you move can be a pain, but I think playing in a more interesting setting is worth it, tbh. I think there's the same difference between a detailed map and a "standard" PW map and illuminated text and crappy paperbacks (or at least a nice hardback with a dust cover), sometimes it's fun to be indulgent, especially when it comes to pixelling :)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 03:48:27 pm
this could be the monitor I'm on, but does anyone else think the 'wood' color is pink/mauve?  makes it feel like some of those ramps are made out of skin.  tidbit creepers.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.