AuthorTopic: First try... Just a head.  (Read 4257 times)

Offline jspsfx

• View Profile

First try... Just a head.

on: April 18, 2006, 02:24:28 am
Well, I'm getting a little bored with the digital art I've been doing over the years.

I've never tried pixel art before... So it's something fresh and new for me. I like being new at something, it's a challenge.

First things first, I suck at drawing. I've been trying to get good since i was a young child, I'm sixteen now. So, I doubt i'll get very far in the pixel art world. But, it's still fun to try.

I looked at a few tutorials and just gave it a shot... Here's my first pixel art attempt. Unfinished, probably unproportioned (I have no eye for that), and colored badly, oh well

Any lineart I can color? Cause I suck at drawing, I really do =|

critique welcome, I'm sure it would be a challenge to name everything I've done wrong... but, don't hold your opinion back, I'm new to pixel art, not new to critique ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 02:26:02 am by jspsfx »

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: First try... Just a head.

Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 03:14:51 am
Hi there jspsfx, welcome to pixel art.

Lineart: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=499.0

As for your piece, it's really not bad. The dithering is probably unnecessary, try using solid blocks of colour with a couple more colours. But I seem to always say that. ;)

Offline jspsfx

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 11:39:11 pm
Thanks =)...

here's my second try

I'm getting a better feel for what to do, I'm still strugging though

Thanks for the nice lineart Blink!

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 11:59:47 pm
Wow, that's a lot of improvement.
I think you could up the contrast on the hair a bit, and probably reduce the colour count, but otherwise.. yeah.
Very nice :)

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 12:08:18 am
left ear should be shadowed.  remove backlight on left sideburn.  this is a great second attempt, well done.  try to get rid of the outlines, there are other techniques you can research which usually look better.

*insert generic lightsource consistency comment here*

Offline jspsfx

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 01:54:56 am
Thanks for the suggestions guys

messing around with lineart by flaber... This stuff is hard. I have big trouble with lighting, mostly with highlights...=o
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 01:57:49 am by jspsfx »

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 04:57:50 am
decide where your light source is
draw a circle where you want it.. if its coming above, below, side, angled..
the visual will help you remember and understand your lightsource better

determine what parts overhang over others, or stick out. what parts are furthest from the lightsource?
your lightsource seems to be coming from the front(slightly infornt of image) top left corner.
since the (our left) arm is behind him it should be darker and getting lighter as it gets to the fingers.
behind the cheek bone and eye shoudl be shadowed because they stick out blocking the light.

dont think of the image as flat lines. you almost need to visualize its depth to see how far things stick out (causing shadow behind) or overhang (such as the jaw, casting a shadow on the neck and upper torso.. but lightening as it goes down).

to create an effect lightsource you cannot colour the lines straight across with using same depth and light quanitites. you decide upon the variables to add form, texture, atmosphere, etc.
right now it seems mostly like you have a light circle in front on his nose, belly, arm, and as it goes out it darkens (since the only way to go is right, right side darkens.) its similar as if you drew a large cirlce with the edges dark and it lightens as it gets to the middle, then you placed the lines over it and made a few touchups.

hmmm.. think of bone structure... yes yes its a cartoon.. but that makes it easier. then you technically dont have anything to be told your wrong, or poor proportions. lets take the mouth for example.
by the horn and nostril, it widens to allow room for 2 notrils, base for the horn and a wide opening for the mouth. then in the middle it would hollow alittle like your cheeks do when you relax your jaw. as it goes back out to the cheekbone the face widens again. the light would shine brightest on the muzzle by the big horn and by the cheekbone (in front). the middle of the muzzle would be slightly darker since it caves in from each of the wider parts. the lower lip would be darker too because the top part catches most of the light.

these are just suggestions and ideas..
lightsource comes from understanding basic shapes, some 3d forms, and a good imagination.
thats about all i can say..
for now.

Offline jspsfx

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 01:19:21 am
Thanks for the suggestions man!

I thought about what you said while making this...

I think it's ok... I'm sure some lighting is off though in some places, maybe overall, but I'm getting a better feel for lighting