AuthorTopic: Tron for the Gameboy [WIP]  (Read 5028 times)

Offline The 7th Sin

• View Profile

Tron for the Gameboy [WIP]

on: January 22, 2011, 03:33:07 am
Hey all!
I recently was inspired by watching Tron Legacy to do a mockup of Tron, if it were a game boy game.
So far I have a the start screen.

(Update 1.1, added "press start", fixed the "t" in tron, small fixes to building border)

(Update 1.2, changed the central "X" on the main tower, thanks Ultimamodin)

(roughly based off of this http://mimg.ugo.com/201003/38902/tron-legacy-11.jpg)

I hope to flesh out the mock up in the coming weeks, with more game play oriented screens perhaps even a light cycle or two.

Latest "Gameplay" mock ups.

Light cycle showdown.

(Version 1.1, inverted colors of grid and objects, made lightcycles more readable.)

Here is my latest update to the Tron project.
I view it as a kind of cut-scene, it would be placed just prefacing a level where the player would pilot a recognizer.
It is a deviation from the plot of Tron Legacy, but it's also a throw-back to the original Tron.
More importantly it is my first try at some animation! ;D

570 views!  I'm glad that you guys all find this project as interesting as I do. :)

Feedback is much appreciated and will be reciprocated.  ;D

Sincerely,
The 7th Sin

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 10:05:48 pm by The 7th Sin »

Offline The 7th Sin

• View Profile

Re: Tron for the Gameboy [WIP]

Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 02:32:21 am
Bump.   :)

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 06:40:52 am
Please note a lot of people lurk around here. Anyway:

The title screen is pretty good, the big pointy square think on the middle building is banded around the edges and the whole thing just looks like a blob of colour. What is it meant to be.

As for the game play mock up... All I see is some walls and ramps. Exactly what is going on in that image. Also why is the grid more noticeable that objects/ramps?

Offline spawn

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 10:04:00 am
I like the title, the other image, is kind of hard to see with so much brightness. I would change the the light that outlines the grid to a darker color, it will really help.  :)

Offline The 7th Sin

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 04:04:07 pm
Hey guys thanks for the comments, you have no idea how much I really do appreciate your feed-back! ;)

@Ultimaodin,
Thanks for mentioning the banding, I clearly forgot to fix that.
As for what the object is supposed to be, I think it would be closely approximated as a large window with light shining out.
Also, I adjusted some of the colors in the play mockup, hopefully it is a little more identifiable what is going on now.

@spawn,
I took your advice and reversed the colors of the objects and grid, I am quite pleased with the outcome. :)
Thanks so much.

As I mentioned before, I will be sure and return the favor of your help in the future.  ;D

Sincerely,
The 7th Sin

Offline The 7th Sin

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 10:06:35 pm
bumpity bump. ;D

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 01:42:26 am
Your lightest two palette entries are way to close together in value. When you only have 4 colors to make a game scene with- every one has to count. Looks pretty good otherwise :]

Offline The 7th Sin

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 02:14:47 am
@Ryumaru
I realize exactly what you are saying man, I curse this palette, every day for that shortcoming. ;)
However, I am trying to do a mockup that stays true to the Gameboy, thus I am limited to these four colors.
I based my palette off this handy picture.

From this handy website.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_palettes

Thanks for the feedback man, I really do appreciate it. ;D

Sincerely,
The 7th Sin

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 09:29:47 am
That palette is not the one truth, though, since the gameboy screen has no actual RGB values - it's not a computer screen, and the perception of the colors would also vary according to what lighting you're in

PLUS the old gameboy had a lightness slider! So you could change the relation between colors anyways. So do go ahead and darken down the 2nd to lightest color. I think it'll make the palette easier to work with!
' _ '