AuthorTopic: Help with shading helmet  (Read 3183 times)

Offline bonofthedead

• View Profile

Help with shading helmet

on: January 20, 2011, 10:42:47 am
I've been messing around with this for a while now, and stepping away from it I noticed the helmet didn't look quite right. I've redrawn it a couple times, but I can't seem to get the metal look down. The only thing I like about it so face is the face. I also realized, I have no idea how metal should be shaded when doing pixel art.

Could anyone maybe help me out with it? Maybe link a tutorial or something? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Offline Lukkas

• View Profile

Re: Help with shading helmet

Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 01:03:40 pm
I actually really like what you have so far.

But, you are right that the shading isn't quite realistic (though it is still visually pleasing, at least to me.)

Here's a good reference image for you.

You're not that far off, but I think your colors on the ridge need to diffuse and meld a little more, and you should perhaps try fewer bands. Maybe have four bands total of dark/light/dark/light.

Also, I don't think the very back should be in the dark sort of shadow that it is. Metal is highly reflective, and with light casting onto the top of the helmet and ridge, I imagine that light would reflect back onto the back of his his helmet, even if it's not in direct light.

Offline Solluxx

• 1 pixel out of place :D
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 02:31:56 am
I think(mabye) that metal shading is mostly just very harsh grayscale with a lot of highlights. just try it a buncha times i think you can get it as skilled as you are. just keep trying  :)
In my opinion ;D

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 08:07:06 pm
hey i know this is probably a far cry from what you are hoping for... but if its simply just some ideas and inspiration for how to go about shading your metal that you are searching for, i went ahead and did a very quick shading scheme to pop some shape into the helmet to give it some form.

Please note that the chin /mouth guard piece has some perspective inconsistencies with the face's rotation and looks kindof ugly in general. the under shadow should extend further to the left for starters. Also i dont really know what you plan to do with the details of the rest of the armor so i sort of loosely formed something, feel free to ignore it.

obviously it could benefit from a lot of clean up work and some more interesting color that you are currently showcasing.